Job Posting: Project Manager for Biosecurity
The Federation of American Scientists Biosecurity Project has the following position available:
Job Title: Project Manager for Biosecurity
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, generous benefits
Education: Ph.D. or Masters degree considered.
Description: FAS is looking for a smart, energetic individual to help direct a major web-based project using innovative video, multimedia and social networking tools to revolutionize the way biosecurity issues are communicated. The initial work will focus on building and development of an interactive and easy to use web portal. Unique content will be created and updated daily. This project is part of an ambitious FAS program to use web 2.0 principles and new technologies to provide comprehensive information on biological and chemical weapons. It will expand on current FAS work to provide high-quality education material on dual-use awareness by providing a hub for biosecurity information and training.
The individual will help design and build the web portal, create new and unique content to feature, keep it up to date and current, oversee efforts to evaluate its impact, plan and execute future work that expands the scope and utility of the site. The person will also participate in broader FAS work and further existing research programs on biological and chemical weapons.
Candidates should have taken graduate-level courses in biology or chemistry and have knowledge of html, web design, and image/video editing. Familiarity with Flash, MySQL database management, and WordPress blog software is highly desirable but not essential.
FAS professionals are expected to be highly motivated and able to work independently. They are expected to be able to analyze complex issues and summarize findings; communicate clearly, both orally and in writing; have strong organizational skills; be capable of prioritizing work assignments in a heavy workload environment; and possess superior research and information technology skills.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and builds online communication portal.
- Creates unique multimedia content for portal, solicits timely opinion pieces, and posts current, up to date biosecurity news and information.
- Maintains an active network of research and collaborative partners in the biosecurity community and attends seminars and events to stay current in the research area and to ensure portal is also up to date.
- Administers and maintains existing biosecurity projects, website and list serve
- Assembles relevant material, including press reports, interviews, government data, documents, and reports.
- Identifies ways to keep the portal platform flexible and adapt to accommodate new multimedia sections or remove items that are out of date or ineffective.
- Builds and maintains a network of key partners to help contribute to and implement key aspects of the Project and to ensure that the Project is guided by outside expertise and input.
- Responds to and balances the needs of the portal’s Board of Directors.
- Manages one or more contracts/grants with responsibility for successful development and delivery of products, reporting, and budget administration and oversight.
- Identifies funding opportunities in consultation with the Director of Biosecurity Policy; prepares proposal submissions
- Interacts with the other project managers at FAS; the wider policy community and the media
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line BIO JOB:
Alternatively, materials may be faxed to (202) 675-1010.
Note: Position available immediately. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Complete applications will be considered first for interviews.
For more information about the work of the Federation, visit our homepage at /
Founded in 1945 by atomic scientists of the Manhattan Project, the Federation of American Scientists is dedicated to the responsible use of science and technology. A 501c3 nonprofit, FAS brings a scientific perspective to analysis and public education on a broad range of science, technology, and public policy issues, including weapons nonproliferation and information technologies.
The FAS Biological and Chemical Weapons Control Project defines biosecurity challenges that face the nation, provides sound information and policy guidance, and advocates for overall preparedness for public health emergencies such as pandemics, disasters, and terrorism events. It covers all aspects of chemical and biological weapons and their control, but concentrates on researching and advocating policies that balance science and security without compromising national security or scientific progress. That includes preventing the misuse of their research and promoting public understanding of the real threats from biological and chemical weapons.
The FAS Nuclear Notebook is one of the most widely sourced reference materials worldwide for reliable information about the status of nuclear weapons, and has been published in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists since 1987.. The Nuclear Notebook is researched and written by the staff of the Federation of American Scientists’ Nuclear Information Project: Director Hans […]
On 14 April 2023, the Belarusian Ministry of Defence released a short video of a Su-25 pilot explaining his new role in delivering “special [nuclear] munitions” following his training in Russia. The features seen in the video, as well as several other open-source clues, suggest that Lida Air Base––located only 40 kilometers from the Lithuanian border and the […]
A photo in a Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) student briefing from 2022 shows four people inspecting what appears to be a damaged B61 nuclear bomb.
In early-February 2023, the Wall Street Journal reported that U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM) had informed Congress that China now has more launchers for Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) than the United States. The report is the latest in a serious of revelations over the past four years about China’s growing nuclear weapons arsenal and the deepening […]