The bioeconomy – the part of the economy driven by the life sciences and biotech, and enabled by engineering, computing, and information science – has the potential to revolutionize human health, climate and energy, food security and sustainability, and supply chain stability, as well as support economic growth and well-paying jobs across the entire country. The U.S. government has recognized this exceptional promise: The recent Executive Order on advancing the U.S. bioeconomy and relevant provisions in the CHIPS and Science Law and the Inflation Reduction Law have opened up an excellent opportunity to engage with the U.S. government to help develop and shape the implementation of policies to bolster the economic engine that is the biotech and biomanufacturing ecosystem.
We now need your help to generate innovative, specific, and actionable policy ideas that the U.S. government could use to supercharge the U.S. bioeconomy.
We’re particularly focused on a few areas:
- Leveraging financial or economic tools – such as loan programs, tax incentives, demand-pull mechanisms, and economic development challenges – to support and advance the U.S. bioeconomy in ways that enable and incentivize biotech or biomanufacturing to expand into new regions of the U.S., build new facilities, and engage in workforce development efforts;
- Enabling better measurement of the U.S. bioeconomy’s contributions to the rest of the economy; and
- Devising new authorities that may be needed at federal agencies in order to support a maximally-coordinated effort to advance the U.S. bioeconomy.
Submit your idea here or see below to learn more. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so submit today!
If selected, authors will be expected to contribute several hours per week, much of which is asynchronous time spent drafting their policy proposal. Authors will receive support from FAS, such as:
- Virtual whiteboarding sessions to workshop ideas and engage in policy design sessions.
- Access to policy toolkits, workbooks, technical editing, and other resources to ensure a compelling final written product.