13 February 1998
- Iraq Weapons of Mass Destruction Programs U.S. Government White Paper, February 13, 1998 - Enough production components and data remain hidden and enough
expertise has been retained or developed to enable Iraq to resume development
and production of WMD. Iraq maintains a small force of Scud-type
missiles, a small stockpile of chemical and biological munitions, and the
capability to quickly resurrect biological and chemical weapons production.
- [EXCERPT] U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing -- 13 February 1998 -- IRAQ Argentine Government Prepared to Lend Full Support to International Effort re Iraqi Compliance with UN Resolutions Reports of Turkish Troops Moving Into Iraq Russian Cooperation with UNSCOM/Inspection Regime
13 Feb 98 -- SOLUTION TO IRAQ CRISIS POSSIBLE IF PERM FIVE COOPERATE, EKEUS SAYS
13 Feb 98 -- TEXT: UN SECRETARY GENERAL ANNAN 2/13 STATEMENT ON IRAQ
13 Feb 98 -- TRANSCRIPT: COHEN MEETS PRESS WITH RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTER
- TEXT: SEC. COHEN'S REMARKS AT SECURITY POLICY CONFERENCE USIA 13 February 1998
13 Feb 98 -- TEXT: ARGENTINE MILITARY CONTRIBUTION TO IRAQ EFFORT
13 Feb 98 -- TRANSCRIPT: RICHARDSON-OBUCHI JOINT STATEMENT ON IRAQ
13 Feb 98 -- SADDAM RESPONSIBLE IF FORCE IS USED ON IRAQ, CLINTON REPEATS
13 Feb 98 -- BERGER ANSWERS QUESTIONS ON IRAQ
13 Feb 98 -- TRANSCRIPT: AMB. BILL RICHARDSON 2/13 TOKYO PRESS CONFERENCE
- U-S POLICYMAKERS AND PUBLIC OPINION Voice of America 13 February 1998 -- THE PUBLIC WANTS THE UNITED STATES TO STAY
ENGAGED IN WORLD AFFAIRS, BUT THEY ALSO ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE
UNITED STATES BECOMMING AN INTERNATIONAL POLICEMAN.
- RUSSIA / COHEN Voice of America 13 February 1998 -- DEFENSE MINISTER IGOR SERGEYEV PUBLICLY CONFRONTED DEFENSE SECRETARY COHEN, WARNING U-S RUSSIAN
MILITARY RELATIONS COULD BE HURT IF THE UNITED STATES TAKES ACTION.
- NEW U-S WEAPONS Voice of America 13 February 1998 -- IF THE
UNITED STATES LAUNCHES AN ATTACK ON IRAQ, IT WILL BE A NEW KIND
OF AIR WAR
- JAPAN / U-S-IRAQ Voice of America 13 February 1998 -- IT'S NOT JUST THE ANGLO COUNTRIES, IT'S COUNTRIES IN ASIA,
AFRICA AND LATIN AMERICA. THERE'S A SILENT MAJORITY OF NATIONS
THAT BELIEVE THAT IRAQ SHOULD COMPLY.
- IRAQ/KURDS Voice of America 13 February 1998 -- RIVAL KURDISH FACTIONS IN NORTHERN IRAQ HAVE AGREED TO
COMPLY WITH A U-S-BROKERED CEASEFIRE THAT BROKE DOWN LAST
- U-S OPINION ROUNDUP - CONFRONTATION WITH IRAQ Voice of America 13 February 1998 -- THE WASHINGTON POST WRITES THAT NEGOTIATING WITH SADDAM
HUSSEIN "IS THE SOUL OF EVASION."
- CLINTON/IRAQ Voice of America 13 February 1998 --
RUSSIAN OPPOSITION TO A MILITARY MOVE WILL NOT STOP THE UNITED
STATES FROM ACTING.
- Russian Rebukes U.S. Over Iraq
The Washington Post
Friday, February 13, 1998; Page A01 --
Russian Defense Minister Igor Sergeyev forcefully lectured Defense Secretary William S. Cohen about America's "tough and uncompromising" stand on Iraq, warning against hasty judgments and short-lived military victories and expressing "deep concern" about future U.S.-Russian relations if the United States takes military action against Iraq.
- Analysis: Force May Not Achieve U.S. Goal in Iraq The New York Times 13 February 1998
- On Gulf Crisis, Congress Rallies Around Clinton The New York Times 13 February 1998
Russian Official Scolds Cohen on Threats to Iraq The New York Times 13 February 1998
Russians Deny Report of '95 Deal With Iraq The New York Times 13 February 1998
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Sunday, February 22, 1998 7:38:30 PM