Science Policy Program Associate
The Federation of American Scientists is searching for a Science Policy Program Associate to support the Science Policy team in day-to-day administration of projects, such as publications, research, “accelerator” and “sprint” programs, and small meetings or events with external stakeholders. The Associate reports to the team’s Senior Manager and will interface with other teams across the organization, including Communications, Operations, Grants & Development, and more. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented and customer-centric individual with experience in program operations, nonprofit administration, and the Salesforce platform.
At the Federation of American Scientists, we believe in embracing a growth-oriented and entrepreneurial mindset to drive impact for our colleagues, our customers and the world. The Science Policy Program Associate will work as part of the Science Policy team and play a key role in supporting efforts to build connections between scientists and policymakers across domains like environmental justice, the bioeconomy, wildland fire, and more.
What you’ll do (Core Responsibilities)
- Provide general administrative and programmatic support to the Science Policy team; organize team meeting agendas; provide logistical and technical support to small in-person and virtual meetings
- Maintain filing system for administrative, financial, and technical documents; advise staff on file system best practices for program and project files
- Advise and support staff on data entry in FAS’s customer relationship management system (Salesforce)
- Interface with Communications to coordinate the team’s publication schedule; collaborate to draft publication plans and timelines; ensure the publication database is maintained
- Administer and manage access to team-specific technology tools, including Google Shared Drives and folders, Slack channels, and Asana teams
- Prepare and process new contracts, memoranda of understanding, and purchase orders according to FAS procurement procedures
- Interface with contractors, vendors, and Operations to process invoices
- Coordinate with Operations and program participants to process stipends, honoraria, and travel reimbursements
- Support data collection, data analysis, and preparation of quarterly metrics reports
Skills and Experience
- Bachelors/Associate degree (preferred) or equivalent experience and three years of progressively responsible experience providing administrative support
- Managing moderately complex data in Excel, adhering to data integrity standards, and performing basic data manipulation
- Following processes and procedures; ability to provide constructive feedback on the development of new processes and procedures
- Ability to cooperate, coordinate with, and support others; receptive to feedback and able to respond to new priorities
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Effective professional communication across diverse audiences
Nice to haves
- Bachelor’s or higher degree
- Experience with Salesforce Platform and CRM, Asana, Slack, Zoom, and Google Workspace suite
- An interest or experience in science, policy, or nonprofit administration
This position will be a hybrid role, meaning that both remote and in-person work can be accommodated, generally two to three days per week on-site, and two to three days per week remote.
- $60,000 – $70,000
Don’t check off every box? Apply anyway! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every listed qualification. At FAS we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, and developing new voices. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway – you might just be the right candidate.
The Federation of American Scientists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Federation of American Scientists prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.