Manager, People and Culture
The Federation of American Scientists is searching for a Manager, People and Culture to join our People and Culture team and support the development and implementation of HR strategies that align with our organizational goals. Reporting to the Director of People and Culture, the ideal candidate will have experience in all aspects of human resources practices and processes, including recruitment, talent management, employee relations, performance management, training and development, compensation and benefits, and HR administration.
At the Federation of American Scientists, we believe in embracing a growth oriented and entrepreneurial mindset to drive impact for our colleagues, our customers and the world. The Manager, People and Culture will work as part of the Operations Team and play a key role in growing our organization and impact.
What you’ll do
- Manage the recruitment and selection process, including job postings, screening resumes, conducting interviews, and recommending hiring decisions.
- Oversee employee onboarding and orientation programs to ensure a seamless transition for new hires.
- Provide guidance and support to managers and employees on HR policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Handle employee relations issues, including conflict resolution and disciplinary actions.
- Manage performance evaluation processes and provide coaching and feedback to employees and managers.
- Coordinate training and development programs to enhance employee skills and capabilities.
- Administer employee benefits programs, including health insurance, retirement plans, and other employee perks.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Maintain accurate HR records and documentation, including personnel files, employee handbooks, and HR reports.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and best practices in human resources management and make recommendations for continuous improvement.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in human resources management, with demonstrated expertise in all areas of HR.
- HR certification (e.g., SHRM-CP, PHR) preferred.
- Strong knowledge of employment laws and regulations.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
This position will be based in Washington DC and will operate as a hybrid role, meaning that both remote and in-person work can be accommodated, generally two to three days per week on-site, and two to three days per week remote.
- $70,000 – $90,000
Don’t check off every box? Apply anyway! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every listed qualification. At FAS we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, and developing new voices. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway – you might just be the right candidate.
The Federation of American Scientists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Federation of American Scientists prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.
Timeframe to hire
FAS looking to fill this position quickly. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Early submission will ensure your application receives full consideration.