Associate Director, People and Culture
The Federation of American Scientists is searching for an Associate Director, People and Culture to manage the workforce planning, talent management, performance management, employee relations, staff engagement, professional development, and retention programs. Reporting to the CFO, the ideal candidate will have experience in day-to-day HR activities, benefits and payroll administration, engagement and culture, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEIB), and talent acquisition.
At the Federation of American Scientists, we believe in embracing a growth oriented and entrepreneurial mindset to drive impact for our colleagues, our customers and the world. The Associate Director, People and Culture will work as part of the Operations Team and play a key role in growing our organization and impact.
What you’ll do
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and maintain up-to-date knowledge of legal requirements.
- Develop and implement comprehensive HR strategies, policies, and programs to attract, retain, and engage diverse, top talent.
- Manage and maintain the Human Resource Information System (HRIS) functions. We use Rippling as our HRIS.
- Maintain accurate and confidential employee records and HR documentation.
- Provide guidance and support to managers and employees on HR-related matters, including performance management, employee relations, and disciplinary actions.
- Create, maintain and update HR policies and Employee Handbook annually.
Benefits and Payroll Administration
- Administer employee benefits programs, oversee compensation structures, and manage performance evaluation processes.
- Processing and handling all employee medical leave benefits, FMLA, workers compensation, salary continuation, STD, LTD, reasonable accommodations, etc.
- Manage semi-monthly payroll, including timely and accurate submission of timesheets, requests for paid time off and leaves of absence, and ad-hoc reports.
Engagement and Culture
- Administer and collect data for Engagement and Pulse Surveys and prepare high-level insights and reports for leadership to take action.
- Oversee coordination of team building and staff appreciation events (e.g., retreats, social events, and group activities).
- Foster a culture of inclusiveness, openness, and honesty within the organization.
- Champion organizational values
- Coordinate and manage our diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging principles and actions and advise FAS’ internal DEI Committee on action plans.
- Work with Recruiting Manager to manage post offer/onboarding steps such as: ordering background checks, completing offer letter and assisting with documentation, and sending out and collecting new hire paperwork
- Oversee new hire orientation programs and other resources in support of the onboarding process.
- Manage employee status changes, employee file maintenance, and offboarding
Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Management, or a related field
- Eight plus years demonstrated experience in relevant Human Resources work, including familiarity with employment regulations, diversity and inclusion best practices and standard HR practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. state and federal laws and governmental compliance requirements and current principles and best practices of human resources management
- Excellent communication skills; detail oriented; self-starter; and, ability to work independently.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated experience serving as a culture driver and resource for a growing staff
- A team player who is highly collaborative and operates with a pro-active, solutions-oriented mindset
- Experience working in a high-growth/start-up like environment a plus
This position will be based in Washington DC and will operate as a hybrid role, meaning that both remote and in-person work can be accommodated, generally two to three days per week on-site, and two to three days per week remote.