This exciting new role at the Federation of American Scientists (FAS) is an essential part of our dynamic team, focusing on the day-to-day management of our accounting. The Accounting Manager is responsible for managing a full-cycle accounting department (A/P, A/R, GL, bank reconciliations, financial statements, etc.) in support of FAS’s financial operations. The Accounting Manager will report to the CFO.
At the Federation of American Scientists (FAS), we believe in embracing a growth oriented and entrepreneurial mindset to drive impact for our colleagues, our customers and the world. The Accounting Manager will work as part of the Operations vertical and play a key role in strengthening the overall financial capacity of FAS.
What you’ll do (Core responsibilities)
- Maintains FAS’s general ledger and ensures accuracy (including but not limited to Labor allocation, assets and liability accounts).
- Closes books on a monthly basis.
- Responsible for accounts payables and payroll processing functions.
- Responsible for the Cash Management.
- Prepares financial reports, maintains checkbook and all banking operations
- Files tax returns and other required external reports.
- Responsible for successful completion of the annual audit. Advises staff on financial policies and procedures.
- Prepares Financial statement and reports on the financial position of FAS on monthly, quarterly and as needed for the Chief Financial Officer, the Executive Team and the Board.
- Coordinates the preparation for the annual financial statement and single audit
- Prepares the annual 990 tax returns.
- Assists with the preparation of the 5500 tax return.
- Develops, updates and implements the Accounting Manual.
- Provides input on strategic initiatives for the finance function.
Skills and Experience (Requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field; CPA designation preferred.
- Minimum six (6) years of extensive and continuous experience managing an accounting function; with at least 4 years working within a nonprofit organization of mid size or larger (minimum 3 years in row for the same organization), handling monthly closeouts and leading the audit process.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and/or government personnel and vendors
- Demonstrated ability of oral and written communications skills to effectively present detailed financial information, respond to questions, write/interpret procedural manuals
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret governmental rules and regulations, and FASB
- Great analytical skills. Ability to resolve complex accounting problems.
- Working knowledge of OMB Circulars 2 CFR 200
- Ability to motivate and inspire staff
- Working knowledge of international grant funding, budget and accounting procedures
This position will be a hybrid role, meaning that both remote and in-person work can be accommodated, generally two to three days per week on-site, and two to three days per week remote.
- $75,000 – $95,000
Don’t check off every box? Apply anyway! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every listed qualification. At FAS we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, and developing new voices. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway – you might just be the right candidate.
The Federation of American Scientists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Federation of American Scientists prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.