FAS Roundup: November 14, 2011
Dispute over nuclear weapons program costs, IAEA Iran report analysis, new documentary on anthrax, terrorist threat to Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal and more.
From the Blogs
- New Air Force policy directive on “Directive Energy Weapons” and letter from Representative Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) to President Obama asking to expedite the declassification of U.S. intelligence documents pertaining to Argentina’s so-called “dirty war” during the military dictatorship that lasted from 1976 to the mid-1980s.
- Dispute over Cost of Nuclear Weapons Program: Steven Aftergood investigates the radically different estimates of cost of the U.S. nuclear program presented by members of Congress in the past few weeks. The disparate estimates, which vary by hundreds of billions of dollars, reflect a lack of consensus about how to properly assess the cost of nuclear weapons.
Spotlight on Anthrax
- FAS board member Dr. David Franz is featured in a new documentary that explores the social and ethical context of the research and development of biological weapons by former Soviet scientists. The film shows some of the ways the scientists were affected by their research and the complicated politics surrounding this work.
- IAEA Q & A: Dr. Ali Vaez, director of the Iran Project is interviewed by insideIRAN.org regarding the recent IAEA report on Iran’s nuclear program.
- Charles P. Blair, director of the Terrorism Analysis Project writes in the latest edition of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists about the terrorist threat to Pakistan’s nuclear assets.
- It’s Not Too Late to Peacefully Keep Iran From a Bomb: With the hype surrounding the International Atomic Energy Agency’s report on Iran’s nuclear program (released on November 8, 2011), Dr. Ali Vaez, director of the Iran Project writes in The Atlantic that the report failed to surprise, and that there is still time to peacefully resolve the Iranian nuclear crisis via diplomatic negotiations.
FAS in the News
- Nov 12: Aljazeera, “Iran: when newsrooms go nuclear”
- Nov 11: Agence France-Presse, “Pentagon Weighs Cuts to Nuclear Arsenal”
- Nov 10: RT.com, “U.S. Spending More on Nukes Now Than During Cold War”
- Nov 10: Newsweek, “Former CIA General Is in the Crosshairs in Leak Probe”
- Nov 9: Voice of America: “The New IAEA Report on Iran’s Nuclear Program” Part I (Persian)
- Nov 9: Voice of America: “The New IAEA Report on Iran’s Nuclear Program” Part II (Persian)
- Nov 8: Global Security Newswire, “U.S. Blueprint for New Nuclear Arms Cuts Expected By Year’s End”
Shop Amazon and Support FAS
- Are you an Amazon customer? If so, shop and support FAS at the same time! Use this link to purchase your items from Amazon and FAS will receive up to 15% of the proceeds from your purchase. Note: you must click on the link or the button on the right for FAS to receive the proceeds from your purchase.