The Federation of American Scientists is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a rewarding work environment.
We do not currently have any openings at this time.
Thank you for your interest in employment with FAS. Please check back with us regularly to learn of future openings.
The Federation of American Scientists offers internship opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students. With less than 10 full-time staff, the FAS offices are casual and collegial. Learn how you can become part of our team.
We are currently seeking a part-time intern to fill an immediate opening in our biosecurity program,which seeks to educate policymakers and the public on the threats posed by biological weapons and on the broader security implications of new research in biology and biotechnology. The biosecurity intern will have an opportunity to take an active role in raising public awareness and analyzing current issues aspart of a small, highly motivated staff working to better the world by ensuring that science and technology are applied in socially responsible ways.
Areas of Responsibility
- Research and Analysis: tracking current issues in biosafety, biosecurity, and biodefense; identifyingtopics for in-depth analysis; and eliciting expert opinions for follow-on research and writing projects.
- Virtual Biosecurity Center (VBC): keeping the Virtual Biosecurity Center updated with currentinformation on new developments in biosafety, biosecurity, and biodefense.
- Public Education and Outreach: using the FAS website and social media outlets to educate thepublic on news, events, advancements in research, and policy issues.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to commit 15-20 hours per week
- Strong research and writing skills
- HTML and website design knowledge preferred, but not required
Education and Skills Required
At a minimum, candidates should have completed substantial undergraduate coursework in biology, microbiology, immunology, biochemistry. Alternatively, they will have acquired knowledge of biorisks through coursework on national security issues related to biosafety, biosecurity, and biodefense.
To apply, please email the following to Chris Bidwell at [email protected]: (1) a resume, and (2) a cover letter that explains your experience, interest in the position, and dates of availability.
Fundraising and Development Internship
The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) is seeking motivated and experienced university students to fill the position of Development Intern. FAS Development Interns will have the opportunity to work in three phases of nonprofit development: 1) Membership services; 2) Foundation, Corporate, and Government relations; 3) Administrative duties.
- Conducting research on prospective foundation, corporate, and government grants
- Conducting research on individuals that can give major gifts
- Assisting in the drafting of grant proposals and periodic reports
- Editing and proofreading development documents
- Providing support to development staff as needed
- Conducting research on prospective new members
- Assisting in updates to FAS social media applications
- Helping membership staff coordinate special member events and campaigns
- Assisting in direct member relations
- Designing membership e-cards, correspondence, and other logos
- Editing audio and video content for distribution to members
- Administrative duties as assigned
The ideal candidate should have coursework in the related field and a genuine interest in nonprofit development. Candidates with a demonstrated ability to raise funds, or nonprofit experience are highly recommended to apply. Qualifications include:
- Strong research and writing skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and social media applications
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Excellent time management skills
- High level of organization and an attention to detail
- Graphic design skills and knowledge of Photoshop highly preferred, but not required
- Podcast and video editing knowledge highly preferred, but not required
- HTML and website design knowledge highly preferred, but not required
- Update FAS’s various online profiles – Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn, grow fans/friends/followers
- Assist in blog outreach
- Research best online practices and trends
- Track and document media coverage on a daily basis
- Help manage FAS’s online community
- Research new social media tools and tactics
- Understand how to record and read important metrics
- Research potential marketing partnerships
- Solid writing and communication skills
- Ability to work quickly and on deadline
- Interest or background in communications/PR
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research skills
- Knowledge of search engine optimization
- Proficient in social media networks including Twitter and Facebook