The swept-wing F-84F Thunderstreak evolved from the straight-wing F-84 Thunderjet. The prototype first flew on June 3, 1950, and deliveries began in 1954, primarily to the Tactical Air Command as a ground support fighter-bomber.
Republic built 2,112 "F" models while General Motors fabricated 599 more. Of these, 1,301 were delivered to NATO air forces. Production of a reconnaissance version, the RF-84F, total 718 aircraft, among them 386 for Allied countries. The RF-84F featured engine air intakes at the wing roots plus cameras in the nose.
F-84Fs were gradually replaced by supersonic F-100s in the late 1950s and were turned over to Air National Guard units. However, some F-84Fs were called back to temporary USAF duty in the early 1960s due to the Berlin crisis.
From 1954 to 1958, more than 1,200 F-84F and RF-84F aircraft were winterized in the maintenance shops at Robins AFB preparatory to being ferried to Europe under Project High Flight.
|Wing Span||33 feet, 7 inches|
|Length||47 feet, 8 inches|
|Engine||One Wright J65 jet engine with 7,200 lbs. of thrust|
|Maximum speed||720 mph|
|Cruising speed||535 mph|
|Service Ceiling||46,000 feet|