Secrecy and Security News
Newer News: January 2021
- ODNI says new policy on prepublication review not done yet, December 29. "Please be advised that we were informed that an IC-wide policy on pre-publication review has not been completed and approved as of today's date."
- ODNI asks White House to undo 'overcomplicated' system for sensitive records by Jory Heckman, Federal News Network, December 16. "In the memo, first obtained by the Federation of American Scientists, Ratcliffe said that instead of simplifying the process, the CUI program has become 'vastly overcomplicated'."
- Ryan Zinke's phones: 'A comedy of errors' by Jeremy P. Jacobs and James Marshall, E&E News, December 4. "Swaths of Ryan Zinke's text messages during his time as Interior secretary appear to be missing, according to a recent agency court filing that has sparked criticism that the department could be running afoul of federal record-keeping requirements."
- Trump Administration Again Refuses To Disclose Nuclear Weapons Stockpile Size by Hans Kristensen, FAS Strategic Security, December 3. "The decision to deny release of the data contradicts past US disclosure of such information, undercuts US criticism of secrecy in other nuclear-armed states, and weakens US ability to document its adherence to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty."
- Pentagon's Advisory Group, JASON, Survives Another Competition by Robert Levinson, Bloomberg Government, December 1. "Despite government efforts to eliminate a decades long-standing program, known as JASON, which provides the Pentagon with scientific advisory support, the Defense Department confirmed its plans to keep the program."
Older News: November 2020