Secrecy and Security News
Newer News: December 2017
- Were Any U.S.-Backed Afghan Troops Punished for Raping Kids? That's Classified. by James Laporta & Rory Laverty, Daily Beast, November 17. "The Pentagon investigated claims that American forces were discouraged from reporting sexual assault. Now the report is here, but its most important finding is secret."
- Leak Investigations Rise 800% Under Jeff Sessions by Betsy Woodruff, Daily Beast, November 14. "The number of leak probes run out of the Justice Department has increased 800%, according to testimony Attorney General Jeff Sessions delivered today on Capitol Hill."
- Federal Agencies: Law could trigger 'biblical changing of the guard' by Hannah Northey and Kevin Bogardus, E&E News, November 9. "A little-known law soon could restrict top acting officials across the federal government and possibly leave the Trump administration's coming environmental and energy policy decisions legally vulnerable."
- Time Is Running Out on Acting Officials' Authority Under Vacancies Act by Charles S. Clark, Government Executive, November 7. "Nov. 16 looms large for government leaders paying attention to the 1998 Federal Vacancies Reform Act. The law stipulates that 300 days after a president is sworn in, officials who have been serving in an acting capacity since that time lose much of their authority."
- Diplomats fear Tillerson transparency push is linked to Clinton emails by Nahal Toosi, Politico, November 7. "State Department officials worry that an effort to release thousands of records is aimed at tarnishing Hillary Clinton -- and pushing more staffers to quit."
Older News: October 2017