Secrecy and Security News
Newer News: May 2013
- NARA FY 2013 Operating Plan under Sequestration, April 25. "NARA has reduced funding dedicated to the declassification of Presidential records."
- Public Interest Groups Urge President to Establish Classification Reform Steering Committee, April 23. "A presidentially-appointed Steering Committee would provide a mechanism for identifying and coordinating needed changes and for overcoming internal agency obstacles to change. It would also reflect the urgency of reining in a classification system that is largely unchecked."
- Patent and Trademark Office Notice on Invention Secrecy, Federal Register, April 23. "In the interest of national security, patent laws and rules place certain limitations on the disclosure of information contained in patents and patent applications and on the filing of applications for patents in foreign countries."
- Government secrecy orders on patents keep lid on inventions by G.W. Schulz, Center for Investigative Reporting, April 16. "It's a common refrain in the stump speeches of politicians that America is a nation of ideas, but Congress decided in 1951 that some of those ideas must nonetheless be kept hidden."
- Number of clearance holders exceeds population of L.A. by Sean Reilly, Federal Times, April 15. "Put all government security clearance holders together and you'd have the second-largest city in the United States, according to the latest annual numbers from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence."
- Defense Support of Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies, Final Rule, Federal Register, April 12. "This rule implements DoD regulations and legislation concerning restriction on direct participation by DoD personnel. It provides specific policy direction and assigns responsibilities with respect to DoD support provided to Federal, State, and local civilian law enforcement agencies, including responses to civil disturbances."
- DNI Releases Budget Figure for FY2014 Appropriations Requested for the National Intelligence Program, ODNI news release, April 10. "The aggregate amount of appropriations requested for the FY 2014 National Intelligence Program is $48.2 billion."
- DOD Releases Military Intelligence Program Base Request for Fiscal Year 2014, DoD news release, April 10. "The Department of Defense released today the Military Intelligence Program (MIP) Request for fiscal year (FY) 2014. The total base request is $14.6 billion."
- Army Judge Raises Burden in Private's Trial on Leaks by Charlie Savage, New York Times, April 10. "The military prosecutors seeking to have Pfc. Bradley Manning convicted of violating the Espionage Act over his release of secret government files to WikiLeaks will face an additional burden at his court-martial under a ruling on Wednesday by a military judge."
- For good government groups, what did all that access earn? by Mark Lisheron, Washington Examiner, April 7. "For the members of the self-described transparency community, the first two years of President Obama's White House tenure felt a lot like the realization of his most extravagant promises of open and accountable government. The past six months has felt more like an abrupt backhand across the face."
Older News: March 2013