Congressional Documents on Secrecy and Security - 2002
Click here for 2003 Congressional Documents on Secrecy
- Presidential Records Amendment Act of 2002, House Report 107-790, November 22.
- Sen. Leahy on FOIA and the Homeland Security Act of 2002, floor statement, November 19.
- Homeland Security Act (Excerpts on Information Policy), as adopted in the House, November 13.
- A Bill to Defeat Internet Jamming and Censorship (S. 3093), introduced by Sens. Wyden and Kyl, October 10.
- Conducting Research During the War on Terrorism:
Balancing Openness and Security
10 October 2002 -- House Science Committee
- State Authorization Bill Comments on FRUS Series, H.Rep. 107-671 on HR 1646, September 23.
- Sen. Byrd on Homeland Security Act of 2002, Secrecy, floor statement, September 17.
- Sen. Byrd on Homeland Security Act of 2002, floor statement, September 3.
- Expressing serious concern regarding the publication of instructions on how to create a synthetic human polio virus, H.Res.514, introduced on July 26 by Rep. Dave Weldon.
- Homeland Security and Freedom of Information, House debate on an amendment by Rep. Jan Schakowsky, July 26.
- Treasury Appropriations Report: Excerpt on National Archives, H.Rpt. 107-575, July 15.
- Requiring Reports to Congress on Missile Defense Tests, Senate amendment to the Defense Authorization bill, June 27.
- Mandating Disclosure of Information on Project SHAD, Senate amendment to the Defense Authorization bill, June 26.
- Sen. Byrd on Missile Defense Secrecy, floor statement, June 25.
- The SHAD Project, statement of Sen. Nelson, June 10.
- Sen. Bond on Limiting Access to Chemical Accident Info, June 5.
- Community Protection from Chemical Terrorism Act (S.2579), introduced by Sen. Bond, June 5.
- Bioterrorism Bill: Regulation of Biological Agents and Toxins (excerpts), conference report, H.Rpt. 107-481, May 21.
- Senate Debate on Secret NAFTA Tribunals, May 2.
- Pipeline Security and Community Right-to-Know, from the proposed Energy Policy Act, May 1.
- Real Time Public Availability of Raw Seismological Data Proposed, in the Security Assistance Act, May 1. "The head of the Air Force Technical Applications Center shall make available to the public all raw seismological data..."
- Sen. Dorgan on Secret NAFTA Tribunals, floor statement, May 1. "My amendment is going to say no more secrecy. My amendment is going to say if we are going to be a part of NAFTA, the tribunals must be open."
- H.R. 4187, "The Presidential Records Act Amendments of 2002"
24 April -- House Government Reform Committee
- Eliminating Secret Senate Holds, statements of Sens. Grassley and Wyden, April 17.
- Presidential Records Act Amendments of 2002 (HR 4187), introduced by Rep. Horn, et al, April 11.
- Hearing on The Importance of Access to Presidential Records:
The Views of Historians
11 April -- House Government Reform Committee
- Sen. Leahy Requests GAO Report on FOIA, letter to GAO dated February 28. "I request that the General Accounting Office assess the impact of the new FOIA policy."
- Homeland Security Information Sharing Act (H.R. 3825), introduced by Reps. Chambliss, Harman, et al, February 28.
- Committee to Review Justice Department Documents, House Reform Committee press release, February 27. "Today, the Justice Department agreed to provide the Committee with access to subpoenaed documents over which the President had originally claimed executive privilege."
- Presidential Library Contribution Disclosure Act (H.R. 577), introduced by Rep. Horn, February 5. "We have laws requiring public disclosure of political contributions. For the same reason, contributions to Presidential libraries should be disclosed."
- Recognition of Steven Garfinkel's 31 Years of Service, statement of Rep. Constance Morella, January 24.
- Space Preservation Act of 2002, HR 3616 introduced by Rep. Kucinich, January 23.