4th General Bureau
The 4th General Bureau is responsible for the developing and manufacturing Scud B and C missiles; ballistic missiles such as Nodong 1, and Taep'odong 1 and 2 missiles;
antitank missiles; surface-to-air missiles; and surface-to-ship missiles. The Number 2 Research Center, which is responsible for the development of long-range missiles, has two missile factories -- the ManKyongDae Electric Machine Factory and the Number 7 Defense Factory.
Number 2 Research Center
There are a number of rocket factories in North Korea, including:
- Yakjeon Machinery Factory / ManKyongDae Electric Machine Factory in Man'gyongdae-ri [Mankeyungdae] was established around 1978 and makes around 200 products. Around 1,500 persons work at the Factory, located in an underground facility in YoungChuDong, YoungSongKu in Pyongyang.
- 7 Defense Factory located about five miles from the ManKyongDae Electric Machine Factory, produces missiles, including the TaePoDong 1, as well as test equipment for this missile.
- 26 Factory / General Plant in Kanggye [Kangkye] of Jakangdo, is the largest underground facility in North Korea and approximately 20 thousand workers manufacture all sorts of missiles, rockets, torpedoes, antisubmarine depth bombs, and land mines.
- 118 Factory in Kagamri, Kaecheon-kun in the southern province of Pyongahn
- 125 Factory, which is commonly referred to as the "Pyongyang Pig Factory," in the Hyengjesan Area of Pyongyang. This facility was open to the
military delegation from Iran and Egypt, which inspected rocket assembly line.
Sources and Resources
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Sunday, January 16, 2000 7:50:52 AM