This grenade is used to produce dense clouds of white smoke for signaling and screening.
(1) Body -- sheet steel cylinder.
(2) Filler -- 19 ounces of Type C, HC smoke mixture.
(3) Fuze -- M201A1.
(4) Weight -- 24 ounces.
(5) Safety clip -- no.
(6) Capabilities -- can be thrown 30 meters by average soldier. The grenade emits a dense cloud of white smoke for 105 to 150 seconds. THE AN-M8 HAND GRENADE PRODUCES HARMFUL HYDROCHLORIC FUMES THAT IRRITATE THE EYES, THROAT, AND LUNGS. IT SHOULD NOT BE USED IN CLOSED-IN AREAS UNLESS SOLDIERS ARE WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS.
(7) Color/markings -- light green body with black markings and a white top.
(8) Field expedient -- When employing the M18 or AN-M8 HC hand grenade, it may be desirable to use one of these grenades without the fuze. To do this, the following procedure should be used in combat only:
WITH BOTH THE AN-M8 AND AN-M18, THERE IS DANGER OF STARTING A FIRE IF USED IN A DRY AREA.
- Remove the tape from grenade bottom to expose the filler.
- Remove the fuze by unscrewing it from the grenade.
- Ignite starter mixture with open flame.
- Immediately throw the grenade to avoid burn injury.