[Russian Federation Presidential Edict No. 337s "On Ensuring the Building and Development of the Russian Federation Armed Forces and Improving Their Structure," dated Moscow, the Kremlin, 24 March 2001 and signed by Russian Federation President V. Putin]
[FBIS Translated Text]
For the purposes of ensuring the building and development of the Russian Federation Armed Forces and improving their structure, and in accordance with the Federal Law "On Defense," I decree:
1. Before 1 June 2001 the Russian Federation branch of service the Strategic Missile Troops is to be transformed into the Russian Federation branches of service the Strategic Missile Troops and the Space Troops;
before 1 September 2001 the Volga Military District and the Urals Military District are to be transformed into the Volga-Urals Military District.
2. Before 1 December 2001 the Main Command of the Ground Forces is to be formed on the basis of the Main Directorate of the Ground Forces.
3. As of 1 January 2006, the authorized strength of servicemen of the Russian Federation Armed Forces is to be established at 1 million.
4-9. Not published.
10. The Russian Federation Government is to:
resolve financial, material-technical, and other questions connected with the implementation of this edict in accordance with the established procedure;
bring its normative legal acts into line with this edict.
11, 12. Not published.
13. As of 1 September 2001, the following changes are to be made to Point 2 of Russian Federation Presidential Edict No. 900 "On the Military-Administrative Division of the Russian Federation" dated 27 July 1998 (Sobraniye Zakonodatelstva Rossiyskoy Federatsii No. 31, 1998, p 3839):
Paragraphs 5 and 6 are to be set forth as follows:
"The Volga-Urals Military District lies within the administrative borders of the Republic of Bashkortostan, the Republic of Mariy El, the Republic of Mordovia, the Republic of Tatarstan, the Udmurt Republic, the Chuvash Republic, Kirov, Kurgan, Orenburg, Penza, Perm, Samara, Saratov, Sverdlovsk, Tyumen, Ulyanovsk, and Chelyabinsk Oblasts, and the Komi-Permyak, Khanty-Mansiysk, and Yamalo-Nenetsk Autonomous Okrugs";
Paragraphs 7 through 9 are to be deemed, accordingly, Paragraphs 6 through 8.
14, 15. Not published.
16. This edict comes into force on the day it is signed.
[Signed] Russian Federation President V. Putin
[Description of Source: Moscow Rossiyskaya Gazeta in Russian -- Government daily newspaper.]
THIS REPORT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.