The National Intelligence Council (NIC) is best known as the organization that produces National Intelligence Estimates, which are intelligence community-wide forecasts of issues and challenges facing the security of the United States. The NIC reports to the Director of National Intelligence in his capacity as head of the intelligence community.
National Intelligence Council
In an attempt to engage creative thinking from outside the intelligence community's classified bunker, the NIC has increasingly participated in joint sponsorship of conferences with non-governmental institutions and has produced a number of unclassified publications, including the following.
Selected NIC Publications
- Global Trends 2040: A More Contested World, April 2021
- Foreign Threats to the 2020 US Federal Elections, March 2021
- Global Trends: Paradox of Progress, January 9, 2017
- Global Implications of Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing, September 19, 2016
- Implications for US National Security of Anticipated Climate Change, August 17, 2016
- Global Food Security, Intelligence Community Assessment, September 22, 2015
- Global Trends 2030: Alternative Worlds, December 2012
- Global Water Security, ICA 2012-08, February 2012
- Annual Report to Congress on the Safety and Security of Russian Nuclear Facilities and Military Forces, 2011
- Global Governance 2025: At a Critical Juncture, September 2010
- Strategic Implications of Global Health, December 2008 (Foldout Map)
- Global Trends 2025: A Transformed World, November 2008
- Disruptive Civil Technologies: Six Technologies With Potential Impacts on US Interests Out to 2025, Conference Report, April 2008
- Democratization in Africa: What Progress Toward Institutionalization?, Conference Report, February 2008
- Nonstate Actors: Impact on International Relations and Implications for the United States, Conference Report, August 23, 2007
- The Putin Era in Historical Perspective, Conference Report, February 2007
- Annual Report to Congress on the Safety and Security of Russian Nuclear Facilities and Military Forces, April 2006
- Mapping the Global Future, Report of the National Intelligence Council's 2020 Project, January 2005.
- The Next Wave of HIV/AIDS: Nigeria, Ethiopia, Russia, India, and China, September 2002.
- Workshop on Information Technology in Africa, May 2002 (3 MB PDF file).
- Annual Report to Congress on the Safety and Security of Russian Nuclear Facilities and Military Forces, February 2002.
- Impact of the War on Terror on Certain Aspects of US Policy in the Middle East, December 27, 2001.
- Foreign Missile Developments and the Ballistic Missile Threat Through 2015, unclassified summary of a National Intelligence Estimate, December 2001.
- Global Humanitarian Emergencies: Trends and Projections, 2001-2002, September 2001.
- Russia in the International System, conference report, June 2001.
- Transformations in Global Defense Markets and Industries, published June 2001.
- North Korea's Engagement--Perspectives, Outlook, and Implications, conference report, 23 February 2001.
- Global Growing Migration and Its Implications for the US NIE 2001-02D, March 2001 (2.2 MB PDF file)
- The Future of the Information Revolution in Latin America, 2001.
- The Global Technology Revolution: Bio/Nano/Materials Trends and Their Synergies with Information Technology by 2015, RAND National Defense Research Institute, 2001.
- Global Trends 2015: A Dialogue About the Future With Nongovernment Experts, National Intelligence Council, December 2000.
- Russia's Physical and Social Infrastructure: Implications for Future Development, National Intelligence Council, December 2000.
- Central Asia and the South Caucasus: Reorientations, Internal Transitions, and Strategic Dynamics-C, National Intelligence Council, October 2000.
- East Asia and the United States: Current Status and Five-Year Outlook, National Intelligence Council, September 2000.
- Foreign Legal and Regulatory Landscape: Its Effect Upon the Development and Growth of e-Commerce, National Intelligence Council, 14 July 2000.
- E-Commerce at the Grass Roots: Implications of a "Wired" Citizenry in Developing Nations, National Intelligence Council, 30 June 2000.
- Prospects for WTO Trade Negotiations After Seattle: Foreign Strategies and Perspectives, National Intelligence Council, May 1, 2000.
- Intelligence Challenges for the New Millennium: A Special Look at Russia and China, remarks by John C. Gannon, NIC, April 26, 2000.
- The Global Infectious Disease Threat and Its Implications for the United States, David F. Gordon, National Intelligence Council, January 2000.
Buck Rogers or Rock Throwers? Conference Report, 14 October 1999.
Foreign Missile Developments and the Ballistic Missile Threat to the United States Through 2015, by Robert Walpole, National Intelligence Council, September 1999.
China's Future: Implications for US Interests, National Intelligence Council, September 1999.
Global Humanitarian Emergencies: Trends and Projections, 1999-2000, National Intelligence Council, August 1999.
Recent Chinese Leadership Priorities and Their Implications for the United States, National Intelligence Council, 30 June 1999.
China and Weapons of Mass Destruction: Implications for the United States, National Intelligence Council, April 1999.
Federalism in Russia: How Is It Working?, National Intelligence Council conference report, February 1999.
The Environmental Outlook in Russia, National Intelligence Council, January 1999.
- National Intelligence Council, official website