Newer News: December 2007
November 2007 Intelligence News
- New Central Intelligence Agency chief (Mongolia), The Mongol Messenger, November 28. "Prime Minister S. Bayar issued a decree to appoint Dr. Ravdangiin Bold chief of the Central Intelligence Agency, according to provision 14.1 of the Secret Agency law."
- Bahamas ratifies the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, CTBTO news release, November 27. "On 26 November, the Acting Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Brent Symonette, announced that he had signed the instrument of ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT). The ratification of the Bahamas brings the total number of Treaty ratifications to 141."
- Changes in Mafia Leadership Reveal New Links to US-Based La Cosa Nostra, DNI Open Source Center analysis, November 19. "The recent arrest of mafia fugitive Salvatore Lo Piccolo and the April 2006 capture of Bernardo Provenzano, the Sicilian mafia's 'boss of bosses,' have highlighted the succession challenge over the position of top boss within the organization."
- DoJ, DNI Oppose Judiciary Committee Markup of FISA Amendment, letter to Sen. Leahy, November 14. "With all respect, we strongly oppose the proposed substitute amendment. If the substitute is part of a bill that is presented to the President, we and the President's other senior advisers will recommend that he veto the bill."
- Statement of Administration Policy on the Defense Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Bill, November 14. "This bill would jeopardize the safety of the American people by undermining the CIA’s enhanced interrogation program, which has helped the United States capture senior al Qaeda leaders and disrupt multiple attacks against the homeland, thus saving American lives."
- DNI appoints chief financial officer, United Press International, November 13. "The U.S. director of national intelligence has appointed a chief financial officer for the sprawling collection of agencies he manages."
Older News: October 2007
Maintained by Steven Aftergood