FAS Special Event: “30 Years After the Accident: the Meaning of Chernobyl Today?”
Leading experts came together to discuss Chernobyl on the eve of its 30th anniversary, the lessons learned, and possible implications that this fateful event has for the nuclear industry today. Speaker presentations are available on fas.org and stay tuned for a full recording of the event.
Op-Ed: “Chernobyl After 30: The Vesuvius of Our Time”
In light of the 30th Anniversary of the cataclysmic accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, Edward Friedman, Professor Emeritus of Technology Management at Stevens Institute of Technology, takes the opportunity to explore the meaningful lessons learned from that pivotal day in history. Read the full article here.
Op-Ed: “What Happened at Chernobyl 30 Years Ago?”
In this op-ed, Tara Drozdenko, Managing Director for Nuclear Policy and Nonproliferation at the Outrider Foundation, examines the science behind the catastrophic accident that occurred on April 26, 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Pripyat, Ukraine, and discusses the lessons learned from that fateful day. Read the full piece here.
From the Blogs
ODNI Revises Costly Declassification Rule: As promised, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) last week formally withdrew a new rule on requesting declassification of classified ODNI records after receiving public complaints that it would have imposed onerous costs on requesters. A revised rule was then issued.
Defense Reform: Yes, But How? (and more from CRS): There is widespread dissatisfaction with the organization and performance of the Department of Defense, a new Congressional Research Service report says, but no consensus on what to do about it. The report “is intended to assist Congress as it evaluates the variety of reform proposals currently under discussion.”
FAS in the News
- Apr 27: FactCheck.org, Clinton Overstates Nuclear Achievement
- Apr 27: VICE News, The CIA Illegally Let the Wrong People Do Intelligence Work, Declassified Report Finds
- Apr 26: Politico, Criticism mounts as another 250 U.S. troops head to Syria
- Apr 25: Federal Register, ODNI Issues Revised Rule on Mandatory Declassification Review
- Apr 25: Defense One, Intelligence Chief: We Don’t Know If North Korea Has a ‘Boosted Bomb’
- Apr 22: CNN, U.S. to buy nuclear material from Iran