The Senate continued with the consideration of the bill.
Mr. STEVENS. Mr. President, I have sent to the desk the first managers' package. And I believe that it has been cleared on both sides.....................
There should be 44 separate amendments in that package. They have been cleared on both sides, and unless there is some discussion, I ask unanimous consent the first managers' package be adopted and any statements offered by any Senator appear in the Record prior to adoption of that Senator's amendment that is in the package.
I add to it, Senator Inouye has a managers' amendment--this would be the first amendment of Senator Inouye--for Ms. Moseley-Braun that pertains to the National Guard Armory in Chicago.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Without objection, it is so ordered.
The managers' amendment is adopted..............
Mr. STEVENS (for Mr. Specter) proposed an amendment to the bill, S. 2132, supra; as follows:
At the appropriate place in the bill, insert the following:
SEC. . COMMISSION TO ASSESS THE ORGANIZATION OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO COMBAT THE PROLIFERATION OF WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION.
The Combatting Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction Act of 1996 (as contained in Public Law 104-293) is amended--
(1) in section 711(b), in the text above paragraph (1), by striking `eight' and inserting `twelve';
(2) in section 711(b)(2), by striking `one' and inserting `three';
(3) in section 711(b)(4), by striking `one' and inserting `three';
(4) in section 711(e), by striking `on which all members of the Commission have been appointed' and inserting `on which the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 1999, is enacted, regardless of whether all members of the Commission have been appointed'; and
(5) in section 712(c), by striking `not later than 18 months after the date of enactment of this Act,' and inserting `Not later than June 15, 1999,'.