Radiant FROST (U)
(U) The purpose of Radiant FROST is to increase the number of emitters that are classified correctly be electronic intelligence (ELINT) processing systems. The project investigates, in particular, the accuracy and timeliness of new signal re-identification algorithms and responds to joint service requirements to reduce the growing problem of unidentified emitters, resulting primarily from the rapid influx of new signals of interest in third world areas and from direct receipt of certain types of national ELINT data.
Description User Impact Programmatics Images Related Initiatives Related Requirements Related Categories Road Map Placements Additional Hotlinks Lead Office POC
(U) Radiant FROST is the navy's effort to incorporate the re-identification "ReID" algorithm as a software module on the Army's Tactical UNIX Processor (TUP), the Air Force's Constant Source Operators Terminal (CSOT), the Navy's Joint Maritime Command Information System (JMCIS), and the Marine Corps' Tactical Electronic Reconnaissance Processing and Evaluation system (TERPES), the NRO's Standard TRE Display (STRED), and DIA's Generic Area Limitation Environment (GALE) ELINT segment (GALE-LITE).
(U) The following efforts were conducted in FY97:
- (U) Completed coding of a specific prototype signal re-identification algorithm
- (U) Integrated the re-identification algorithm into GALE-LITE
- (U) Conducted operational testing ashore and afloat
- (U) Integrated Radiant FROST into USMC's TERPES in early FY97, with integration into JMCIS following successful demonstration of the algorithm's ability to properly identify maritime emitters
- (U) Evaluated the ability of the Radiant FROST algorithm to distinguish between water and land emitters. Operational testing of the algorithm took place in early 97, with transition to a program scheduled for FY98
- (U) Install MATT receivers on selected ships as part of an effort to assess the operational utility of uninterrupted receipt of TDDS, Tactical Data Information Exchange Systems (TADIXS) B, and Tactical On-board Processing System (TOPS) data
User Impact (U):
Related Initiatives (U): None.
Related Requirements (U):None.
Related Categories (U):
Name Title Navy TENCAP Navy Tactical Exploitation of National Capabilities (TENCAP) This Table Is Unclassified.
Road Map Placements (U):
Name Title ISR SPACE FORCE ENHANCEMENT: INTELLIGENCE SURVEILLANCE AND RECONNAISSANCE This Table Is Unclassified.
Requirements, Funding and Additional Hotlinks (U):
Lead Office (U):
Point of Contact (U):
(U) Maj Mike LaPointe, NSSA, Open Phone: (703) 325-6422, DSN 221-6422.
(U) National Security Space Road Map Team, NSSA, Open Phone: (703)808-6040, DSN 898-6040.
Date Of Information (U):
(U) 04 September 1997
(U) Road Map Production Date: 12 July 1999