Space and Missile Technology (U)
(U) The primary focus of the Space and Missile Technology area is to rapidly develop, in concert with the Department of Defense Science and Technology (S&T) Strategy, superior and cost-effective space and missile systems technologies for U.S. military forces. The specific technologies pursued within the Space and Missile Technology area are driven by warfighter needs and embodied in to the five Future Joint Warfighting Capabilities. They are:
1. (U) To maintain near perfect knowledge of the enemy and communicate that to all forces in near-real time.
2. (U) To engage regional forces promptly in decisive combat, on a global basis.
3. (U) To employ a range of capabilities more suitable to actions at the lower end of the full range of military operations which allow achievement of military objectives with minimum casualties and collateral damage.
4. (U) To control the use of space.
5. (U) To counter the threat of weapons of mass destruction and future ballistic cruise missiles to CONUS and deployed forces.
(U) The Space and Missile Technology Area manages the following eight technology Thrusts to meet AF and DoD needs:
1. (U) Boost and Orbit Transfer Propulsion Technology
2. (U) Tactical and Spacecraft Propulsion Technology
3. (U) Space Vehicle Structures and Control
4. (U) Advanced Space Technology Integration and Demonstration
5. (U) Space Power and Thermal Management
6. (U) Space Sensors and Satellite Communications
7. (U) Space Vehicle Electronics and Satellite Control
8. (U) Space Vehicle and Missile DynamicsTechnology
Related Initiatives (U): None.
Related Categories (U):
Name Title Adv Tech Integration & Demos Advanced Technical Integration and Demonstrations Battlespace Comms & Ops Battlespace Communications and Operations Boost & Orbit Transfer Tech Boost and Orbit Transfer Propulsion Technology Optic Surv Eff & Bat/Space Ops Optical Surveillance Effects and Battlespace Operations Propulsion Technology Spacecraft and Tactical Propulsion Technology Space Mission Technology Space Mission Technologies Space System Technologies Space Systems Technologies Space Vehicles Technology Space Vehicles Technology This Table Is Unclassified.
Road Map Placements (U):
Name Title TECHNOLOGY- RDT&E SPACE TECHNOLOGY This Table Is Unclassified.
Requirements, Funding and Additional Hotlinks (U):
Name Technology Master Process This Table Is Unclassified.
Date Of Information (U):
(U) 21 November 1997
(U) Road Map Production Date: 12 July 1999