DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE USSPACECOM HOI 900-7
UNITED STATES SPACE COMMAND
IS AWARDED TO
AIRMAN FIRST CLASS SAMUEL S. BOYD
OUTSTANDING AIRMAN OF THE QUARTER (APRIL - JUNE 1987)
Given this 7TH day of JULY 1987
Headquarters United States Space Command
Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado 80914-5001 28 September 1987
Awards, Ceremonies, and Honors
STANDARD CERTIFICATE OF RECOGNITION
This headquarters operating instruction tells how to use the standard cer-
tificate for special recognition to personnel within HQ USSPACECOM.
1. Purpose. Use HQUSSPACECOM Form 4, USSPACECOM Certificate of Recognition,
to recognize military and civilian personnel (see attachment 1). The cer-
tificate of recognition allows for flexibility and can be used for many occa-
2. When to Present Certificate of Recognition. It may be awarded for out-
standing service or achievements which do not meet the standards for other
specific awards and decorations, but are sufficiently noteworthy to merit spe-
cial recognition. Sample areas for which a certificate is awarded are in
attachment 2. The short citation on the certificate tells the reason for the
3. Who Should Approve (Sign) Certificate. Certificates are signed by directors,
the DEPCINC, or the CINC, as appropriate.
4. Processing Recommendations. Make recommendations by letter through channels
to the approving authority. Refer to attachment 3 for specific information
5. Establishment and Use of Certificate of Recognition. For special recogni-
tion ranking below military decorations, only use HQUSSPACECOM Form 4.
Note: If another special certificate is considered necessary, directors may
forward recommendation, with draft of the certificate and the proposed imple-
menting directive, through functional channels to HQ AFSPACECOM/DA, Jl, and DCJ
6. Form Prescribed. HQUSSPACECOM Form 4.
OFFICIAL JOHN L. PIOTROWSKI
Commander in Chief
G. A. STANSELL
Colonel, USAF 3 Attachments
Director of Administration 1. Sample HQUSSPACECOM Form 4
2. Sample Areas for Which USSPACECOM
Certificates of Recognition are Awarded
3. Format for Letter of Recommendation
for Certificate of Recognition
No. of Printed Pages: 4
OPR: DAE (CMSgt 0. E. Aldridge)
Approved by: Col G. A. Stansell
Editor: R. E. Kirk
2 USSPACECOM HOI 900-7 Attachment 1 28 September 1987
SAMPLE HQUSSPACECOM FORM 4
JOHN L. WILLIAMS
Director of Manpower and Personnel
USSPACECOM HOI 900-7 Attachment 2 28 September 1987 3
SAMPLE AREAS FOR WHICH HQ USSPACECOM CERTIFICATES OF RECOGNITION ARE AWARDED
Here are representative areas for which certificates of recognition may be
awarded for outstanding service or achievements. THIS LIST IS NOT ALL-
b. Fire Prevention Program.
d. Educational Achievements.
e. Honor and Color Guards.
f. Outstanding Personnel of the Month, Quarter.
g. Public Service.
h. Volunteer Workers.
i. Scientific Achievements.
j. Outstanding Civilian Performance.
k. Unit Nomination for Outstanding Administration.
1. Outstanding Completion of a Specific Project.
m. Completing an Additional Duty with Distinction.
n. Nomination for Command Awards.
o. Outstanding Project Officer for Fund or Membership Campaigns.
4 USSPACECOM HOI 900-7 Attachment 3 28 September 1987
FORMAT FOR LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF RECOGNITION
UNITED STATES SPACE COMMAND
PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, COLORADO 80914-5001
ATTN OF: DA
SUBJECT: Recommendation for Certificate of Recognition
TO: Approval Authority (through channels)
1. Recommend award of the USSPACECOM Certificate of Recognition to:
a. Grade, first name, middle initial, and last name.
b. Type of accomplishment and representative area.
c. Present organization and station.
d. Grade, duty assignment, and unit of assignment of the individual at
time of the act or service.
e. Date of reassignment, retirement, or separation, if applicable.
2. Give a narrative description highlighting the accomplishments or
achievements. Be specific, brief, and factual.
3. Furnish a statement indicating the service of the person recommended has
been honorable subsequent to the act or service for which recommended.
4. Furnish a statement indicating that a previous award has not been made to
the same individual for the act or service described.
5. State the date on which presentation of the award is desired if the recom-
mendation is approved.
(Signature of recommending official)