Fudan University, originally called Fudan Public School, was founded in 1905. Fudan means literally "a new morning" in Chinese. It is reported that Fudan University engaged in tomography, testing of solid missile propellants, explosives, and detonation packages for nuclear weapons, although the component of the University supporting such activity is not apparent.Since May 1994 the University has received full support from the Shanghai Municipality while still remaining under direct jurisdiction of the State Ministry of Education (formerly the State Education Commission). It has been selected by Project 211 to be one of the few universities for investment priority in the 21st century. There are 4,673 faculty and staff members at Fudan University. Fudan was moved to the inland city of Bei Pei, Chongqing, after the outbreak of the Sino-Japanese War in 1937. In 1941, Fudan became a national University and five years later, it was moved back to the present campus in Jiangwan, Shanghai, the original site of the university. In 1952, the nation-wide adjustment of departments and schools among institutions of higher learning made Fudan a comprehensive university.
Fudan University is composed of seven schools: the Schools of Humanities, Journalism, Law, Economics, Management, Technology and Engineering, and Life Sciences. The School of Technology and Engineering consists of five departments (Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, Materials Science , Electric Light Sources, Applied Mechanics), two laboratories (Specialized Integrated Circuit Systems and EC-China Conformance Test Laboratory), three centers (National Microanalysis Center of Electronic Materials and Devices, CAD Center, and Computer Network and Information System Center), and five research institutes (Microelectronic, computer Science, Materials Science, Electric Light Sources, Advanced TV Technology).