PROTOCOL TO THE TREATY BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
AND THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ON FURTHER REDUCTION AND LIMITATION
OF STRATEGIC OFFENSIVE ARMS OF JANUARY 3, 1993|
The United States of America and the Russian Federation,
Reaffirming their commitment to the further reduction and limitation of strategic offensive arms,
Desiring to enhance the viability and effectiveness of the Treaty Between the United States of America and
the Russian Federation on Further Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms of January 3, 1993,
hereinafter referred to as the Treaty,
Have agreed as follows:
1. In paragraph 1 of Article I of the Treaty the words "seven years after entry into force of the START
Treaty" shall be replaced by the words "no later than December 31, 2004".
2. In paragraph 3 of Article I of the Treaty the words "January 1, 2003" shall be replaced by the words
"December 31, 2007".
3. In paragraph 5 of Article I of the Treaty the words "seven years after entry into force of the START
Treaty" shall be replaced by the words "December 31, 2004".
4. Paragraph 6 of Article I of the Treaty shall be formulated in the following way:
"The Parties may conclude an agreement on a program of assistance for the purpose of facilitating
implementation of the provisions of this Article, including for the purpose of accelerating such
In paragraph 1, paragraph 6, and paragraph 9 of Article II of the Treaty the words "January 1, 2003 "
shall be replaced in each case by the words "December 31, 2007".
1. This Protocol shall be subject to ratification and shall enter into force on the date of exchange of
instruments of ratification.
2. This Protocol is an integral part of the Treaty and shall remain in force for the duration of the Treaty.
DONE at New York City on September 26, 1997, in two copies, each in the English and Russian
languages, both texts being equally authentic.
FOR THE UNITED STATES
FOR THE RUSSIAN