1. At its 1st plenary meeting, on 25 November 1996,
the Review Conference decided, in accordance with rule 35 of its
Rules of Procedure, to establish a Committee of the Whole to consider
in detail the substantive issues relevant to the Convention with
a view to facilitating the work of the Conference.|
2. At the same meeting on 25 November, the Conference
elected by acclamation Ambassador Jorge Berguño Barnes
(Chile) as Chairman of the Committee of the Whole, and Dr.
Petr Rytik (Belarus) and Ambassador Lars Norberg (Sweden)
3. At its 1st plenary meeting, on 25 November, the
Conference decided that the Committee of the Whole should undertake
the review of the various articles and provisions of the Convention
under agenda items 10 (a) and 10 (b), as well as to consider items
11, 12 and 13, as follows:
Agenda item 10. Review of the operation of the Convention as provided for in its Article XII
4. At its 1st meeting, on 27 November 1996, at the
suggestion of the Chairman, the Committee of the Whole approved
its method of work, clustering items as follows: Articles III;
Articles IIIIV; Article V; Articles VIIX; Article
X; and Articles XIXV, including the Preamble. The Committee
also examined agenda items 11, 12 and 13.
5. The Committee of the Whole held six meetings during
the period from 27 to 29 November 1996. In addition, the Committee
also held informal consultations.
6. In the course of the work of the Committee a number
of proposals were presented on the Articles of the Convention.
These proposals appear in Annex II of this report. At its
sixth and final meeting on 29 November l996, the Committee of
the Whole adopted its report and took note of the Chairman's Summary.
7. The Chairman's Summary of the various views expressed during the deliberations of the Committee appears in Annex I of this report. The content of both annexes is without prejudice to the views of delegations as they were stated in the Committee.