September 1997 United States Special Weapons
Nuclear, Biological, Chemical and Missile
- GLOBALIZATION AND DIPLOMACY: A PRACTIONER'S PERSPECTIVE Strobe Talbott FOREIGN POLICY Magazine, Fall 1997
- [EXCERPTS] Defense Department News Briefing September 30, 1997 - Secretary Cohen is any day now supposed to decide on whether or not the Army should test its MIRACL laser. The Russian Mafia is reported joining with Latin drug cartels to sell Colombia drug traffickers two tactical nuclear weapons.
- TREND ANALYSIS: U.S.' 'UNDISPUTED' ROLE AS SUPERPOWER US Information Agency - Foreign Media Reaction Report 29 September 1997
- [EXCERPT] U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing 22 September 1997 - KOREA North: Four-party talks breakdown; schedule of future talks; items
discussed Flexibility of agenda; US view; proposed agenda in Geneva; categories;
date of talks JAPAN Reports of North Korea deployment of missiles reaching Tokyo;
deployment around Pyongyang DOD's review of anti-ballistic missile defenses; Tokyo's supposed request for US help in light of North Korean deployment RUSSIA Lebed's report on loss of nuclear weapons
- [EXCERPT] U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing 03 September 1997 - NORTH KOREA DPRK messages to US re defectors, effect on dialogue; status of
four-party talks Amb. Chang defection: no update on asylum request US reaction to destruction caused by tidal wave; WFP assessment of need ARMS CONTROL Russian missiles found by Turkey aboard Egyptian vessel; US proliferation concerns
- [EXCERPTS] Defense Department News Briefing September 02, 1997 - Is the Secretary considering allowing a test laser attack on a satellite?
There has not been any determination as to what caused that seismic event in Russia and it remains a mystery.
- [EXCERPT] U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing 02 September 1997 - CYPRUS Egypt interception of ship carrying parts for Russian missile system sold to Cyprus NORTH KOREA Status of four-party and missile talks Alleged role of CIA in defections JAPAN Upcoming 2+2 talks
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Monday, March 09, 1998 3:20:00 PM