At its 155th meeting held on 14 May, the Security Council Committee established by resolution 661 (1990) concerning the situation between Iraq and Kuwait adopted the following measures intended to facilitate a more smooth process for approval of contracts for humanitarian supplies to Iraq:
Measures to Expedite and Streamline the Implementation of Security Council Resolution 986 (1995)
1. The Committee recalls its decision to consider for approval contracts based upon anticipated revenues as determined by the issuing of an irrevocable letter of credit for oil shipments and confirmation of lifting of oil cargoes.
In this regard the Committee requests the Secretariat to circulate for its consideration all contracts that meet the requirements of the Committee's Procedures.
2. Incomplete applications will not be circulated until clarification is obtained by the Secretariat from the applicant State and the Permanent Mission of Iraq. Thus the Secretariat will immediately notify both the Permanent Mission of the applicant State and the Permanent Mission of Iraq of the irregularities found in the submitted documentation.
3. The Secretariat will henceforward process all incoming 986 applications if possible within two business days taking into account the provisions of paragraphs 1 and 2 above.
4. If a contract is put on hold, the delegations concerned should indicate to the Secretariat the specific reasons to enable the matter to be resolved as quickly as possible.
The Secretariat will include in its weekly information to the Committee members a separate update on the lifted holds.
5. The Committee expects that the Secretariat will take steps to obtain additional resources to support processing as necessary.
* *** *