1995 Russia Special Weapons
Nuclear, Biological, Chemical and Missile
- Machinebuilding NPO Is Moving Into the High-Tech Market , Gerbert Aleksandrovich Yefremov, General Designer and General Director of Machinebuilding NPO, VOORUZHENIYE, POLITIKA, KONVERSIYA, No. 3 (10), 1995 -- History of the Machinebuilding NPO and its efforts to retarget its efforts to cope with shrinking defense budgets.
- Strategic Rocket Troops Count 879 Launchers , INTERFAX, 12/13/1995
- Dubna Exhibit Will Feature Nuclear-Powered Engine Research , Ivan Fedik, DELOVOY MIR, 12/8/1995
- Don't Play With Nuclear Fire. The Open `Wounds' of the Closed Cities, Anatoliy Pokrovskiy, PRAVDA, 12/2/1995 -- Discussion of Russia's closed cities in the post-Cold War era.
- Russia's Nuclear Shield, Colonel General Igor Sergeyev, CINC Strategic Missile Troops, ARMEYSKIY SBORNIK, December 1995 -- In the past training year forces in the Strategic Missile Troops were upgraded by introducing missile regiments armed with the Topol missile complex to the order of battle and placing them on alert duty.
- NTV Looks Inside Nuclear Command Bunker , NTV, 11/27/1995
- Production of Weapon-Grade Plutonium To Cease by 2000 , Veronika Romanenkova, ITAR-TASS, 11/27/1995 -- The Russian Minister of Atomic Energy, Viktor Mikhaylov, said on Monday that Russia will halt production of weapon-grade plutonium before the end of the century.
- Tomorrow Is Rocket Troops and Artillery Day Something Born To Fly Crawls out of the Forest, Lieutenant Colonel Ilshat Baychurin, ROSSIYSKAYA GAZETA, 11/18/1995 -- Discussion of Russian rail-based missile systems.
- From Nuclear War to the War of the Markets, Pilar Bonet, EL PAIS, 11/7/1995 -- Report on the transition of Russia's secret defense research laboratories to the post-Cold War environment.
- Cold War Arsenal, Vladimir Davydov, GRANITSA ROSSII, Nov 95 -- Interview with Retired Major-General Vladimir Semenovich Belous on the end of the Cold War and the START II treaty.
- MOSCOW'S PURCHASE OF UKRAINIAN ICBMs MAY JEOPARDIZE START; RUSSIA AND UKRAINE BUILD JOINT BALLISTIC MISSILE DEFENSE SYSTEM Russia Reform Monitor, No. 78. November 30, 1995
- COMMERCE, RUSSIAN DELEGATION DISCUSS EXPORT CONTROL (Commerce news release) 26-10-95
- NATO Bashes On [Interview with Anton Surikov, Russian Defense Studies Institute expert, by Saveliy Khasidov, Moscow SOVETSKAYA ROSSIYA, in Russian, 26 Oct 95
- RUSSIA'S NUCLEAR SAFETY PROBLEMS by Stanislav Lunev Jamestown Prism, October 23, 1995
- Missile Forces Fire Inter-Continental Ballistic Rocket , ITAR-TASS, 10/10/1995 -- The exercises drilled control of Russian strategic nuclear forces. ITAR-TASS was told in the press centre of missile forces that the RS-12M Topol rocket blasted off from the testing ground of the Plesetsk space port.
- The `Stealth' Will Remain Invisible, Denis Baranets, MOSKOVSKIYE NOVOSTI, 10/1/1995 -- Russia's sale of the S-300 surface-to-air missile system, believed capable of shooting down stealthy aircraft, to the US will substantially harm Russia's security interests.
- Why Russia Has Let Its Nuclear Arsenal Go for Soap and Sausage, by Aleksandr Golts, Moscow KOMSOMOLSKAYA PRAVDA, in Russian, 5 Sep 95
- New-Generation ICBM Successfully Launched , ITAR-TASS, 9/5/1995 -- Russia successfully launched a new-generation intercontinental ballistic missile of the Topol series.
- `Moscow '95': All of Russia's New Planes, Missiles, Satellites , Jean- Pierre Casamayou, Christian Lardier, and Pierre Langereux, AIR & COSMOS/AVIATION INTERNATIONAL, 9/1/1995 -- Although introducing a few surprises--in the military sector, new airborne detection equipment, a scramjet-powered missile; and in space, new rockets and satellites--this fourth Moscow aerospace show, displaying greater realism, played the spotlight mainly on commercial planes.
- Dig an Air Pocket, Yuriy Medvedev, TEKHNIKA I MOLODEZHI, 8/19/1995 -- Discussion of the feasability of using plasmoid weapons as antiaircraft defense.
- AES--Underground!, Sergey Alekhin, ROSSIYSKAYA GAZETA, 8/5/1995 -- New Uses for Nuclear Equipped Ships, Subs Investigated
- Russian Federation Government Directives No. 1040-d, 24 July 1995, Moscow, and No. 1065-d, 29 July 1995, Moscow, signed by Russian Federation Government Chairman V. Chernomyrdin; plus unattributed commentary: "The Strategic Forces' Eyes and Ears", Moscow ROSSIYSKAYA GAZETA, in Russian, 18 Aug 95
- BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS QUESTIONS WITH RUSSIA UNDERLINE NEED FOR BINDING ACCORDS By Jacquelyn S. Porth USIA Security Affairs Correspondent - 19 July 1995
- YELTSIN CONTROLS RUSSIAN NUCLEAR ARSENAL, Moscow Interfax,14 July.
- The Navy in the Prejubilee Year , Admiral V. Selivanov, MORSKOY SBORNIK, July 1995 -- The status of the Russian Navy during the first part of 1995.
- The 21st Century and the U.S. Navy , Major M. Boytsov, MORSKOY SBORNIK, July 1995
- GORE TALKS RESOLVE ISSUE OF RUSSIAN ARMS SALES TO IRAN STATE DEPARTMENT REPORT, FRIDAY, 30 June 1995
- 18-Year-Old Missile Fired From Baykonur Test Range -- Military Praises Missile's Performance , ITAR-TASS, 6/8/1995 -- Russia's military space forces today launched from the Baykonur launch site an RS-18 missile which was manufactured in November 1976.
- Ships of Postwar Design Projects, A. Antonov, MORSKOY SBORNIK, June 1995 -- Discussion of Design Project P-627A, 653 and 639 Missile-Armed Submarines.
- Typhoon in a Teacup: Undervaluing Naval Strategic Forces Poses Threat of Russia Losing Most Important Priorities, and Not Only Military Ones, Sergey Ptichkin, ROSSIYSKAYA GAZETA, 5/19/1995 -- Does Russia need a strategic submarine fleet, and what does it stand to lose if it is given up for reasons of economy?
- Antiaircraft Gunners Earn Their Living by Painting on Wood. Post-Reform Daily Life of the Once Secret `Almaz' Design Bureau, by Ivan Boltovskiy,
Moscow PRAVDA, in Russian, 6 May 95
- Defense Awareness": "Russia's Nuclear Disarmament Must Be Stopped, Moscow ZAVTRA, in Russian No. 18, May 95
- Skrunda Radar Building Destroyed; Gailis Comments , Radio Riga Network,
- Baku-Moscow Deal on Gabalin Radar Station Near Completion, INTERFAX, 4/28/1995 -- A draft agreement on Russia's radar station at Gabalin (northern Azerbaijan) is near completion though the question of staff and the amount of payment to Azerbaijan remains unresolved.
- U.S. Firm To Demolish Skrunda Radar Station 4 May , NTV, 4/23/1995 -- The former Soviet secret installation was built in the 1980's, 150 km from Riga, in the small town of Skrunda and was to have been one of the most important Soviet stations for listening to objects in space.
- Swoop Down and Buy -- But Not To Privatize, for Example, the Kantemirovskiy Division?, Fedor Yemchenko, TRUD, 4/18/1995 -- The collective of the Radio Instrument Building Scientific Research Institute (NIIRP) has been struggling with apologists of privatizing in the Russian way for over a year now.
- Moscow To Sell Air Defense, Anti-Missile Complex to U.S.,
By ITAR-TASS correspondent Sergey Ostanin, Moscow ITAR-TASS,in English 1105 GMT, 14 Apr 95
- RUSSIANS URGED BY PERRY NOT TO MAKE REACTOR SALE TO IRAN By Jacquelyn S. Porth USIA Security Affairs Writer - 11 April 1995
- Further Details on Abortive Launch , INTERFAX, 4/6/1995 -- The abortive launch of the Russian-built Start booster carrying three satellites on March 28 was caused by a premature shutdown of the engine of the 4th stage.
- Kozyrev on Russian-U.S. `Central Issues', By ITAR-TASS correspondent Dmitriy Gorokhov, Moscow ITAR-TASS, in English 0655 GMT 4 Apr 95
- Reportage, Commentary on Grachev-Perry Discussions -- Grachev Holds News Conference After Talks, By ITAR-TASS correspondent Mikhail Shevtsov,
Moscow ITAR-TASS World Service, 1005 GMT 3 Apr 95
- Ogonek Report on `21st Century Weapons' -- Plasma Shield Able To Protect Entire Planet From Nuclear Threat, Moscow OGONEK, in Russian, Apr 95
- Will We Build Svobodnyy?, Major General Valeriy Menshikov and Colonel Anatoliy Kuzin, ARMEYSKIY SBORNIK, April 1995 -- Supports establishing a second space launch facility in Russia.
- `We Will Produce Strategic Nuclear Forces.' That Is Probably What Those Who Have Embarked on the Reform of the Soviet Nuclear Triad Think...., Sergey Ptichkin, ROSSIYSKAYA GAZETA, 3/28/1995 -- Editorial opposing early implementation of START I.
- Radiation Conditions in Russia, RADIATSIONNAYA OBSTANOVKA ROSSII, 3/14/1995 -- Attachment to the map ``Radiation Conditions in Russia'', Scale 1:8,000,000, ``List of Facilities Marked on the Map Presenting a Radiation Danger''.
- Russian-Leased Missile Center Poses Environmental Threat , BELAPAN, 3/13/1995 -- In the opinion of experts, the unfinished center for missile attack notification, situated 10 kilometres from the town of Hantsevichy in the Brest region -- the Baranavichy Centre -- will be a serious danger to the environment from the ecological point of view when it is commissioned.
- Nuclear Submarine Launches Ballistic Missile `Dummy' , INTERFAX, 3/10/1995
- RUSSIAN PARLIAMENTARIANS MEET WITH HOUSE PANEL CONGRESSIONAL REPORT, TUESDAY, MARCH 7 (03/07/95)
- Russia and the West, by Sergey Mikhaylovich Rogov, doctor of historical sciences, professor, deputy director, Historical Commission of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow SSHA: EKONOMIKA, POLITIKA, IDEOLOGIYA, in Russian, Mar 95 No 3
- Schwarzenegger Should Fly to Kazakhstan. An Ownerless Nuclear Bomb Has Been Found There, Aleksandr Budberg, MOSKOVSKIY KOMSOMOLETS, 2/24/1995 -- Combat-Ready N-Bomb Said Rusting Away in Semipalatinsk
- A Russian Missile in Antwerp, by RIA "NOVOSTI" correspondent Vladimir Katin, Moscow OBSHCHAYA GAZETA, No. 7/83 16-22 Feb 95
- U.S.-Russian Military Theories and Practices,
Article by Wen Weier, Beijing XIANDAI GUOJI GUANXI [CONTEMPORARY INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS], 20 Feb 95
- The `Master' of the Secret Cities; Chief of the Minatom of Russia Main Scientific-Technological Administration on the Fate of Plutonium, Weapons Uranium, and on the Future of Closed Nuclear Centers, Vladimir Gubarev, DELOVOY MIR, 2/18/1995 -- Interview with Yevgeniy Mikerin, chief of the Minatom Main Scientific-Technological Administration
- START I TREATY INSPECTION REGIME OPENS By Bruce Carey USIA Staff Writer - 14 February 1995
- Effort To Dismantle Nuclear Device at Semipalatinsk -- Dismantlement To Start in March , KAZAKHSTANSKAYA PRAVDA, 2/14/1995 -- In Kurchatov there has been a regular meeting of the coordinating group, set up in line with the agreement between the Kazakh and Russian Governments on dismantling a nuclear device deployed at the Semipalatinsk nuclear testing ground before its closure.
- The `Star Wars' Program: Round Two. It Is The Russians Who Are Destined To Pay the West for the Third World's Missile Ambitions, by Pavel Bogomolov, Moscow PRAVDA, in Russian 7 Feb 95
- Commentary Asks Who in U.S. Wants To Halt Disarmament, Moscow Voice of Russia World Service, 1810 GMT 6 Feb 95
- Commentary Questions Who in U.S. Wants To Halt Disarmament, Moscow Voice of Russia World Service, in English 1810 GMT 6 Feb 95
- NORWEGIAN AND RUSSIAN ROW OVER ROCKET LAUNCH, Aleksandr Korzun, Igor Porshnev, and Yevgeniy Terekhov, Moscow Interfax, 30 January.
- NORWAY HAD INFORMED RUSSIA ABOUT ROCKET LAUNCH,Yuriy Kozlov and Aleksandr Stepenko, Moscow Interfax, 27 January.
- NORWEGIAN ROCKET INCIDENT SETTLED, Yuriy Koslov and Aleksandr Stepankenko, Moscow ITAR-TASS, 27 January.
- We Were Preparing for an All-Out Chemical War, Lev Fedorov, OBSHCHAYA GAZETA, 1/26/1995 -- Questions statements that there are no forces in Russia interested in the preservation of chemical weapons.
- SECRETARY GENERAL OF NATO SAYS MOSCOW MIGHT BE EXAGGERATING NORWEGIAN ROCKET LAUNCH, Paris AFP, 26 January.
- TV INTERVIEW WITH NORWEGIAN OFFICIAL ON ROCKET LAUNCH, Moscow 2x2 Television, 26 January.
- ENVOY VIEWS MEDIA REACTION TO NORWAY MISSILE INADEQUATE, Dmitry Gorokhov and Yuriy Kozlov, Moscow ITAR-TASS, 25 January.
- Data Analysis and Physicochemical Modeling of the Radiation Accident in the Southern Urals in 1957 , S. A. Kabakchi, A. V. Putilov and Ye. R. Nazin, ATOMNAYA ENERGIYA, January 1995
Implemented by Sara D. Berman
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Monday, March 09, 1998 3:20:00 PM