The BTR-50P is based on the chassis of the PT-76 light amphibious tank with an open-topped troop compartment in the center. The 20 infantrymen sit on bench seats which run across the full width of the vehicle and enter and leave by climbing over the side of the hull. Armament consists of a pintle-mounted 7.62 mm SGMB machine gun. The BTR-50P is fully amphibious and propelled in the water by two water-jets at the rear of the hull. The BTR-50P was introduced in 1954. It is no longer in production and is being replaced by newer BTRs and BMPs in the Russian Army.
Armored personnel carriers of the BTR-50P series were issued to the motorized rifle regiment of tank divisions in the Soviet and East German Armies, and in a modified form as command vehicles in virtually all Warsaw Pact armies. They have also been exported to the Middle East. The BTR-50P, which was first shown in public on November 1957, has undergone a number of modifications. The original BTR-50P had an open-topped fighting compartment, and at first, carried no armament. There is provision, however, for trans-porting 57mm, 76mm or 85mm guns in the fighting compartment. The guns are loaded onto the vehicle from the rear using folding ramps attached to the rear deck of the vehicle. The guns can be fired from the vehicle on land or water, or can be dismounted and used in a normal fashion. When firing from the vehicle in the water, however, the water jet system must be in operation.
|Armamament||1 x 7.62 mm machine gun|
|Ammunition||1,250 x 7.62mm|
|Engine||Model V-6 6-cylinder in line water cooled diesel developing 240 hp at 1,800rpm|
|Max Road Speed||44 kmh|
|Fuel Capacity||400 lit|
|Max Range||400 km|
|Verticle Obstacle||1.1 m|
|Night Vision Equipment||Yes(infra red)|