This grenade is used as a ground-to-ground or ground-to-air signaling device, a target or landing zone marking device, or a screening device for unit movements.
(1) Body -- sheet steel cylinder with four emission holes at the top and one at the bottom to allow smoke release when the grenade is ignited.
(2) Filler -- 11.5 ounces of colored smoke mixture (red, green, yellow, and violet).
(3) Fuze -- M201A1.
(4) Weight -- 19 ounces.
(5) Safety clip -- no.
(6) Capabilities -- can be thrown 35 meters by average soldier. The grenade produces a cloud of colored smoke for 50 to 90 seconds.
(7) Color/markings -- olive drab body with the top indicating the smoke color.
(8) Field expedient -- When employing the M18 or AN-M8 HC hand grenade, it may be desirable to use one of these grenades without the fuze. To do this, the following procedure should be used in combat only:
WITH BOTH THE AN-M8 AND AN-M18, THERE IS DANGER OF STARTING A FIRE IF USED IN A DRY AREA.
- Remove the tape from grenade bottom to expose the filler.
- Remove the fuze by unscrewing it from the grenade.
- Ignite starter mixture with open flame.
- Immediately throw the grenade to avoid burn injury.