FM 20-32 OPLAN GIANT III (82nd ABN DIV)
FM 90-4 APPENDIX 10 TO ANNEX C, 1st BDE TACSOP
FM 7-20 / 7-30 DIVISION GOLD BOOK (10 FEB 98)
2. PURPOSE: To seize an FLS, clear the FLS to allow the rapid build-up of combat power. Expand the airhead or lodgement to defend / secure the FOB.
3. Conditions (General):
a. FLS/runway is asphalt, concrete, stabilized clay.
b. Minimum operating strip (MOS) for a C-130 : 3000 ft. x 60 ft.
c. FLS may be near/in built-up area.
4. Concept (General): Generally a three or four phased operation at brigade level.
a. PHASE I - Condition setting (STC).
b. PHASE II Airhead secure/clear the FLS.
c. PHASE III Expand the lodgement.
d. PHASE IV Secure the FOB.
*Key Concepts: Land on or off the OBJ.
Mass combat power (Number/location of LZs).
Isolate the FLS.
Control all movement inside the airhead.
5. BATTLEFIELD ARCHITECTURE:
a. Establish an inner and outer ring. The inner ring is generally large enough to support all ground elements, the BSA, AVN Aas, and sufficient maneuver space for INF units to conduct MTC / Search and Attack operations (Generally out to enemy mortar range (3.8k) during the initial phase). The inner ring can be extended to 11.5 km (105mm) range. The outer ring is
M-TETT dependent; C2 is by the AVN TF Cdr.
b. Control measures:
(1) Define assault objectives and unit zones of action, C2 nodes.
(2) Define SR / MSR in zone, with link up points.
(3) Other measures to consider:
Engagement area Phase line
No fire area/restricted fire area Contact point
Battle position Airhead line (AHL)
Drop zone (heavy drop) Objective
Heavy equipment point of impact (HEPI)
c. Operational terms:
d. TTP (M-TETT dependent): Possible missions or TTP to consider in COA development.
CORDON & SEARCH PATROL
MTC AREA RECON
SEARCH AND ATTACK MSR CLEARANCE
AMBUSH MSR MAINTENANCE
BATTLEFIELD CIRCULATION GAC
6. PLANNING CONSIDERATIONS:
a. Forces available to the TF:
INTEL MANEUVER FS M/CM/S
LRS INF FA SAPPERS
ODA TM AT USAF HVY ENGR
SCT MTR NGF AAT
PFDR ATK AVN Q36 ARP
FCT LIFT AVN FCT TM
GSR HVY TM(-)
CSS ADA C2
FLE STINGER TM CCT (USAF)
ATLS AVENGER TM PFDR
TRAINS LSDIS TACSAT TM
CDS SIG TM
AIRLAND OPNS MP
(1) Coordinate for AH64 gun tapes, all available overhead imagery.
(2) Coordinate HUMINT through SOF, CA, LNO.
(3) Develop a RECON TM with BDE C2/(R&S Plan).
(4) CCIR focus: ADA, obstacles, reaction forces, heavy weapons, IDF systems.
(5) Obtain airfield diagrams/sketches/photos.
(1) Consider isolating the OBJ area prior to assault force entry.
(2) Deception (False insertions/fires) are a combat multiplier.
(3) Key: Deny enemy DF or observed IDF on the FLS.
(4) Blocking forces: Equip with AR weapons, mines, wire, marking kits.
(5) Augment TM CLEAR with additional mine detectors.
(6) Marking SOPs must be the same in all units (BDE TF SOP).
(7) Minimize rucksacks on all lifts. Limit sling loads on Lift 1.
(8) TM VILLAGE: CIV control (Chaplain, CA, DST, MP, CI, Security TM).
(9) Plan for CCA fires from ATK AVN (use BDE SOP for BHO).
(10) Determine LARP insertion location and times. Coordinate for DZ, HEPIs, and
terminal guidance requirements.
(11) Determine BHO of FLS from INF TF to FSB HQ (ELE).
(12) Key rehearsals:
Actions on FLS.
React to contact vic FLS.
Deliberate sweep ops.
Link up ops.
Use alt LZ.
(13) Objective area (Example):
(14) Air assault planning figures (General) (INF TF).
Rifle Co (3) 15 x UH60, 6 x CH47
Co D 10 x CH47
SCT 2 x UH60
MTR 4 x UH60
ADA Plt 3 x CH47
ENGR Plt 2 x UH60, 3 x CH47
FSE/TACP/TAC/CCT 4 x UH60
MP/CA/CI 1 x CH47
CMBT TRAINS 2 x CH47
TOTAL: 27 x UH60, 25 x CH47
(15) Air assault planning figures (General) (BDE TF)
INF TF 30 x UH60, 16 x CH47
INF TF 26 x UH60, 16 x CH47
BDE QRF (TM D) 26 x UH60, 16 x CH47
BDE TAC 8 x CH47
FA (TAC,Q36,BTRY,ENGR) 4 x UH60
ADA 3 x CH47
SIG 3 x CH47
MP 2 x CH47
FLE 3 x CH47
311 MI BN 4 x UH60, 1 x CH47
CCT/ATS 2 x UH60
TOTAL: 92 x UH60, 89 x CH47
(1) Plan for Q36/battery insertion: Pre H-hour or H-hour (+) (Offset LZ inside AHL).
(2) Non cratering munitions vic FLS (only).
(3) USMC FCT teams for NGF/AVN CCA.
(4) Establish RFA, NFA vic the FLS.
(5) Plan for EW, CAS, NGF for SEAD and pre-assault fires.
(6) The GTC is responsible for all fires vic the FLS. Rehearse clearance of fire drills at bn/bde TF FS technical rehearsals. Disseminate all marking SOPs/FS C2 Nets/Target lists.
(2) Avenger (FLIR) is useful for scanning FLS & DZ.
(3) Consider requesting a HIDACZ for better C2.
(1) Restrict resupply until the FLS is clear and airhead secure.
(2) Consider additional ATLS Teams with the INF TF.
(3) Plan for CLIII / V resupply for ATK AVN and C2 A/C.
(4) Plan for MSR/SR control inside the AHL.
(5) Be ready to accept CDS re-supply, AIRLAND, and follow-on forces.
(6) CASEVAC: Rehearse the following contingencies:
(a) Pre - H-hour: STC Phase.
(b) Air/ground CASEVAC during the AASLT.
(c) Air/ground CASEVAC after the AASLT is complete.
(1) Define C2 roles inside AHL.
(2) Consolidate FS C2 to streamline clearance of fires drills.
(3) Graphically define all unit positions and assembly areas.
(4) Enforce overlay consolidation at TF level; disseminate at bde/bn rehearsal.
7. Training approach (General focus):
(1) Leader training:
(a) "Brown Bag" LPDs for PLT LDR and above.
(b) TEWT on local FLS/Airfield (SQD LDR and above) w/TACSOP.
(c) CPX at CO level and above.
(2) Collective training (Critical tasks/missions):
(a) PLT Level:
1. Assembly drills (Day/night) with marking SOPs.
2. L/U drills.
3. Actions on contact drills.
4. Execute ALT LZ Drill.
(b) CO Level:
1. Seize assault objectives.
2. L/U drills.
3. Provide QRF to TM clear.
4. Execute TM clear with supporting TF Elements.
5. Execute CASEVAC.
(c) BN Level:
1. Develop GTP with supporting plans.
2. Focus effort: Landing plan/air movement table (key-Dont spread units out over multiple lifts/serials).
3. Actions on the objective: Work through the tasks of security, assessment, proofing, and BHO to CCT/bde C2.