DoctrineLINK is the most comprehensive online guide to military doctrine currently available. Doctrinal resources are widely scattered across the net, and they are brought together here for the first time. This guide provides pointers to both sites that are primary sources of doctrinal and related publications and the capstone doctrinal publications of the Defense Department and Military Services.
We also maintain local specialized libraries of doctrinal and related publications on several topics of current interest.
Search the Digitized Collection Marine Corps University Archives
Air War College Center for Strategy and Technology
Army CGSC Foreign Military Studies Office
Army Management Staff College
Army War College Strategic Studies Institute
Marine Corps CSC Student Papers (1984-1995)
Marine Corps CSC Student Papers (1996-present)
NDU Institute for National Strategic Studies
National War College
Naval War College Newport Papers
Defense / Joint
- DefenseLINK Publications
- DoD Directives and Instructions are online
in varous formats
- National Defense University Research and Publications
- Joint Doctrine Homepage [All their stuff is in PDF!!]
- Joint Publications pretty much the same stuff in HTML courtesy the most estimable Army Training Digital Library (ATDL)
- Air Land Sea Application Center
- Defense Science & Technology Planning site provides a single location for the basic science and technology planning and selected related documents of the Department of Defense.
- TECNET Test and Evaluation Information has a lotta stuff online, and links to even more stuff, but you gotta poke around to find the goodies.
- Current Department of Defense (DD) Forms by Form Number (September 1996)
- National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) Publications
- Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Publications
- The Joint Staff Officer's Guide 1997
- ANNUAL REPORT TO THE PRESIDENT AND THE CONGRESS
- Joint Vision 2010 provides an operationally based template for the evolution of the Armed Forces the future, and is a benchmark for Service and Unified Command visions.
The National Military Strategy of the United States of America [executive summary] or full text in PDF February 1995, released March 8, 1995 [Supersedes 1992 JCS statement]
- Numerical Listing Of Joint Publications
- Joint Publications are arranged in a hierarchy. All doctrine is consistent and linked to the two capstone publications, Joint Pub 1 and Joint Pub 0-2. The hierarchy is also arranged in functional series, doctrinally linked to their individual Keystone publications; Joint Pub 1-0, Personnel; Joint Pub 2-0, Intelligence; Joint Pub 3-0, Operations; Joint Pub 4-0, Logistics; Joint Pub 5-0, Planning; and Joint Pub 6-0, C4 Systems.
- Joint Doctrine Capstone and Keystone Primer, 25 May 1995, Size = 2M
- JP 1, Joint Warfare of the Armed Forces of the United States, 10 January 1995, Size = 1M
- JP 0-2, Unified Action Armed Forces (UNAAF), 24 February 1995, Size = 554K
- JP 1-01 c1, Joint Publication System, Joint Doctrine and Joint Tactics, Techniques and Procedures Development Program, c1 14 September 1993, Size = 591K
- JP 1-01.1, Compendium of Joint Doctrine Publications, 25 April 1995, Size = 803K
- Universal Joint Task List (Version 3.0) CJCSM 3500.04A - 13 September 1996 The UJTL contains a comprehensive hierarchical listing of the tasks that can be performed by a joint military force. The UJTL also contains a common language of conditions that is used to describe the operational context in which tasks are performed. Finally, the UJTL contains a menu of measures of performance for each UJTL task.
- CJCS Guide 3401 CJCS Guide to the Chairman's Readiness System
- Horizon, Enterprise, and Copernicus, the
Air Force, Army, and Navy C4 visions
- Manual for Civil Emergencies - provides guidance for the preparation, coordination and execution of military support to civil authorities during civil emergencies, along with other DOMS On-Line Sources
Don't let anyone kid you -- these are the guys who invented doctrine!! The United States Army spends more time worrying about writing combat cookbooks than just about anyone anywhere.
- Army Doctrine Related Web Sites
- U.S. Army Publishing Agency List of Electronic Publicationsis pretty extensive, but you will need to take the time to download the pesky IBM Library Reader for these puppies.
- ARMY CIVILIAN PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT has some regs online in HTML.
- Army Training Digital Library (ATDL) Ft Eustis, VA is the TRADOC-approved repository of Army Doctrinal Publications. The state of the art, a must see!!
- Virtual Library of FM's [courtesy the USAIC TENCAP folks] may be a bit more convenient way of accessing Field Manuals.
- Training and Doctrine Command [TRADOC] is the fount of doctrine, and it also has an estimable guide to TRADOC Publications
- Space Division HQ TRADOC
- United States Army Intelligence Center Fort Huachuca, AZ
DOCTRINE AND PUBLICATIONS
- Forces Command Publications
- US Army Europe has an extremely nice implementation
- Force XXI Homepage
- Fort Knox Doctrine Work Page
- Corps and Division Doctrine Directorate's Library
- Center for Army Lessons Learned (CALL)
- United States Army Foreign Military Studies Office Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, USA
- Army Signal Corps Doctrine
- ADA Doctrinal Publications Many Air Defense Artillery doctrinal publications are currently under revision, awaiting editing and approval. As they become available, they will be published here at Ft. Bliss.
- Center for Army Lessons Learned (CALL) Main Page
- Corps and Division Doctrine (CDD) Doctrinal Publications Library Site
- Force XXI TTP Homepage
- Fort Benning/Infantry School Doctrine Homepage
- Fort Bliss/Air Defense Artillery Doctrinal Publications Page
- Fort Gordon/Signal Corps Doctrine Division Page
- Fort Huachuca/Military Intelligence Doctrinal Literature Branch
- Fort Huachuca/Intelligence Center Doctrine and Publications Division
- Fort Leonard Wood/Engineer-Proponent Publications Page
- Fort McClellan/Chemical School Homepage
- Fort McClellan/Military Police Homepage
- Fort Rucker/US Army Aviation School Directorate of Training, Doctrine, and Simulation
- Fort Sill/Field Artillery Proponency Publications Page
- FORSCOM Pamphlet 25-30 FORSCOM Publications and Blank Forms Index - Those documents which are online [a few but far from all] are linked to an "EXE" file for faster downloading. Once the document is saved, double click on the file name to "unzip" the file. Document titles are linked to a Word 6.0 document for viewing. If you do
not have Microsoft® Word 6.0 please use the Microsoft® Viewer to load Word Viewer.
- Publications of the Headquarters, United States Army Corps of Engineers [All in PDF]
- Technical Guidance Reference List -- U.S. Army Information Systems Engineering Command
- Ft Bragg Online File Libraries
- Army Regulations on Software and Testing and Evaluation
- Army Pamphlets on Software and Testing and Evaluation
- Strategic Studies Institute U.S. Army War College Carlisle Barracks, PA
- Center for Strategic Leadership U.S. Army War College Carlisle Barracks, PA includes CSL Studies
- Army Vision 2010
- America's Army...Projecting Decisive Power Into the 21st Century -- September 1995 edition (Provided in PDF and JPEG formats)
- Force of Decision . . . Capabilities for the 21st Century US Army Whitepaper
- Army Posture Statement (APS) is an unclassified summary of Army roles, missions, accomplishments, plans, and programs.
- America's Army of the 21st Century Meeting the 21st Century Challenge
- TRADOC Pamphlet 525-5 Force XXI Operations
- TRADOC Pamphlet 525-66 Operational Capability Requirements (OCR) 1 December 1995
- DA Pam 37-100-95 The Army Management Structure (AMS) Fiscal Year 1995
"The Army has doctrine, the Navy has tradition, and the Air Force is new" The fine folks at the Navy Doctrine Command are starting to remedy this situation, but they still have a ways to go. Even the Air Force, which is "new", has, contrary to the old saw, a most estimable and comprehensive online doctrinal library. The problem seems to be that as soon as you get below the capstone publications, the Navy regards everything as classified, which is rather odd considering what the Army and Air Force and even the Marines have put online.
- Naval Warfare Development Command was established to develop naval concepts and
integrated naval doctrine; provide a coordinated Navy-Marine Corps voice in joint
and multinational doctrine development; and address naval and joint doctrine with
respect to training, education, operations, exercises, simulations, and war games.
- CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT LINKS by Naval Doctrine Command provides lotsa links to related sites.
- OPNAV N513 Strategy and Concepts Branch Strategy and Policy Division (N51) on the staff of the Chief of Naval Operations. N513 is tasked with development and maintenance of the maritime element of the National Military Strategy for the CNO.
- Navy Public Affairs Library is currently about the best available source, but you gotta poke around a bit.
- Navy Electronic Directive System material is have been grouped into tables averaging twenty-five Directives each. OPNAV Instructions and Notices can be found in Tables 1 through 37. The remaining tables contain SECNAV Instructions and Notices. These items are all in really nasty PDF format, with each page of each document massing upwards of 100k.
- Naval Computer and Telecommunications Command Instructions ALLRIGHT!! THIS IS MORE LIKE IT!!! This page provides links to NCTC instruction available through the Web. Additional instructions will be added monthly. Instructions can be accessed by instruction number or alphabetically by name.
- Naval Public Works Center Yokasuka Japan Instructions is also an estimable [if boring] implementation.
- Navy publications on Software, Testing and Evaluation
- NOSC NRaD [Naval Command, Control and Ocean Surveillance Center
Research, Development, Test and Evaluation Division]Publications Page
- CNSLINST 9000.1D Surflant Planning and Execution of Alterations and Repairs
- BUPERS OPNAV Instructions
- Naval Logistics Reference Library - great steaming heaps of boring stuff in PDF
- NWP Naval Warfare Publications
- Navy Directives Library
- SECNAVINST Secretary of the Navy Instructions
- OPNAVISNT Chief of Naval Operations Instructions
- NAVAIR Instructions
- We do not need to reinvent the Navy in response to the
Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) Chief of Naval Operations ADM Jay Johnson, Nov. 15
- ...From the Sea
- Forward...From the Sea (11/94) The update to the original document [also available in PDF]
- Naval Aviation... Forward Air Power... From the Sea Naval Aviation Vision Statement: September 1997
- Force 2001, the Navy's official program guide.
- COPERNICUS ... FORWARD C4I FOR THE 21ST CENTURY June 1995 Chief of Naval Operations (OPNAV) Space - Command and Control - Information Warfare (N6)
- THE NAVY POLICY BOOK - MAY 1992
- Navy Doctrine Publications [PDF!]
- Marine Corps Doctrine Division
- Requirements Division - Approved MNS, ORDS, and ROCS
- OUTREACH Newsletter Marine Corps Combat Development Command (MCCDC)
- Marine Corp University Command and Staff College has gone and put all their recent student papers online [unlike their net.lagged counterparts in the other services. The bad news is that the pesky things are in Lotus Ami Pro, and they are ZIPped to boot!!! So ya gotta really want them to get them, but they are worth it, and we have added a number of them to our eprint archives.
- A-J Indexof Student Master's and Military Issues Papers [when last checked, this page was improperly coded, and all the paper's filenames had *.sam extensions rather than *.zip extensions -- so if you select a paper to download, when you get the dreaded 404 error message, just replace the filename extension and you will be OK, probably].
- K-Z Index of Student Master's and Military Issues Papers
- Recent Student Paper Download Search by Keyword [only seems to search titles for keywords].
- Marine Corps Publications
- Marine Corps Orders and Directives searchable database is now back online, which is nice.
- Marine Corps Headquarters also has some sorta database.....
Doctrine manuals are now organized into six categories as well as three levels of content. The levels of doctrine are Marine Corps Doctrine Publications (MCDPs), Marine Corps Warfighting Publicaitons (MCWPs), and Marine Corps Reference Publications (MCRPs).
- Operational Maneuver From The Sea
- Marine Corps Concepts and Issues for 1996
- FMFM1 WARFIGHTING
- FMFM 1 Warfighting, 6 March 1989 PDF Size = 265K
- FMFM 1-1 Capaigning, 25 Janury 1990 PDF Size = 375K
- FMFM 2-7 Fire Support in Marine Air Ground Task Force Operations (MAGTF), 26 Sep 1991 Size = PDF 300K
Well, the Air Force might not have "tradition" like the Navy, but they have sure blown the other service outta the water in terms of having complete sets of their documents online.
- For Enlightenment: The U.S. Air Force Electronic Publishing Initiative is supposed to explain all this.
- Air Force Publishing Distribution Library (AFPDL) this implementation at Wright-Pat is a bit nicer than the primary site
- HQ ACC/DR Requirements Documents Search System
- SOPs and CONOPS a very small and very unique collection
- Air Force Manpower Standards
- Headquarters Pacific Air Forces Publications
- College of Aerospace Doctrine, Research, and Education (CADRE)
- Air University (AU) Press produces books, monographs, and papers for the Air University
- Air Combat Command (ACC)/SCSP Information
- Air Force Materiel Command Publications Library
- Edwards Air Force Base Electronic Publications Distribution Library
- VEDPL Vandenberg Electronic Documents & Publications Library
- Air Education and Training Command (AETC)gopher
- Air Education and Training Command (AETC)FTP Error 403
- Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC)
- Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) Error 404
- Air Mobility Command (AMC)
- Pacific Air Forces (PACAF)
- United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE)
- Air Force Acquisition Policies, Directives and Instructions
- Air Intelligence Agency (AIA)
- Air Intelligence Agency (AIA) FTP Server
- Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center
- The Air Force FARSite has oodles of acquisition documentation relating to the Federal Acquisition Regulations, of which there are many [fortunately, they have a search capability].
- Catalog of Air Force Publishing Products
- (AFSSI) Air Force Systems Security Instructions
- (AFSSM) Air Force Systems Security Memorandum
- (USAFE) US Air Forces in Europe
- AFMC Publishing Distribution Library
- (AMC) Air Mobility Command
- (ACC) Air Combat Command
HQ Air Force Space Command Publications
- Vandenberg Electronic Publishing Distribution Library
- (PACAF) HQ Pacific Air Force Publications and Forms
- (AFSOC) Special Operations Command
- (AFRC) Reserve Command
- (AETC) Air Education and Training Command
Aerospace Doctrine -- More Than Just A Theory Gen. Ronald R. Fogleman, U.S. Air Force chief of staff Presented at the Air Force Doctrine Seminar, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., April 30, 1996
- "Global Engagement: A Vision for the 21st Century Air Force" succeeds "Global Reach-Global
Power," the strategic vision statement that guided the Air Force since the end of the Cold War.
- Air Force secretary, chief of staff unveil new strategic vision Air Force News Service -- 22 Nov 96
- Adapting To An Altered Strategic Environment, delivered by The Honorable Sheila E. Widnall,
secretary of the Air Force, at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, Nov. 25, 1996
- Beyond the Edge of the Map, delivered by The Honorable Sheila E. Widnall, secretary of the Air Force, at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, Nov. 21, 1996
- Global Engagement Gen. Ronald R. Fogleman, U.S. Air Force chief of staff Delivered at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, Nov. 21, 1996
- The Nation's Air Force latest update of Global Reach-Global Power
- Global Presence 1995[PDF]
- AFM 1-1 Air Force Manual 1-1 Basic Aerospace Doctrine of the United States Air Force March 1992. [The next publication of this
manual will be as AF Doctrine Document 1 (AFDD-1)]
- Air Force Issue Book (1996)
- Air Force Publications Bulletins (PBs)
- Air Force Indexes (AFINDs)
- Air Force Supplements to DOD Issuances (DODAFSUPs)
- Air Force Doctrine Documents (AFDDs)
- Air Force Mission Directives (AFMDs)
- Air Force FAR Supplement (AFFARS)
- Air Force Publications by Functional Series (AFPDs, AFIs, AFMANs, etc.)
- Action Officer Guide (AOG) a collection of Microsoft Word templates that help properly format Point Papers, Memorandums, CC Meeting Minutes, etc.
Maintained by Webmaster
Updated Sunday, January 16, 2000 8:17:54 PM