On Legal Matters in the area of Development, Production, Sale and Usage of Encoding Devices and also for the assignment of responsibility concerning the encoding of information.Presidential Edict No. 334
With the goal of ensuring the unconditional discharge of the Law of the Russian Federation "Concerning the Organs of Federal Government Communications and Information," and also of intensifying the struggle against organized crime and raising the security of the telecommunications information systems of the organs of state authority, the Russian credit and finance structure, and enterprises and organizations, I decree:
1. The conferring of the status of a presidential program with the specific purpose of creating and developing a program of telecommunications and information systems in the interests of the organs of state authority. The Administration of the President of the Russian Federation in cooperation with FAPSI (The Federal Agency of Government Communications and Information) will ensure its review and implementation.
2. Prohibiting within the telecommunications and information systems of government organizations and enterprises the use of encoding devices, including encryption methods for ensuring the authenticity of information (electronic signature) and secure means for storing, treating and transmitting information which are not certified by FAPSI, and also the imposition of state law on enterprises and in organizations using the aforementioned technical and encoding devices without certification by FAPSI.
3. Proposing that the Central Bank of the Russian Federation and FAPSI take extraordinary measures with regard to commercial banks of the Russian Federation which avoid the obligatory FAPSI certification in technical methods for securing the storage, treatment and transmission of information under the information subdivision of the Central Bank.
4. In the interests of the information security of the Russian Federation and intensification of the fight against organized crime, prohibiting legal and physical persons from designing, manufacturing, selling and using information media, and also secure means of storing, treating and transmitting information and rendering services in the area of information encoding, without a license from FAPSI in accordance with the Russian Federation law "Concerning the Federal Organs of Government Communications and Information."
5. That the state customs commission of the Russian Federation take measures to bar entry into Russian Federation territory encoding devices of foreign manufacture without licensing by the MVES (Ministry of Foreign Economic Relations) issued in cooperation with FAPSI.
6. That the FSK (Federal Security Service) of the Russian Federation and the MVD (Ministry of Internal Affairs) of the Russian Federation, in cooperation with FAPSI, and the State Tax Service of the Russian Federation and the Department of the Tax Inspector, reveal any legal and physical persons who do not comply with the present Decree.
7. Recommending that the General Prosecutor of the Russian Federation increase procuratory oversight of observance of the Law of the Russian Federation "Concerning the Federal Organs of Government Communications and Information" in the area of design, production, sale and use of encoding devices, and also services in the area of information encoding in the Russian Federation, subject to licensing by FAPSI.
8. Creating a Federal center for the safeguarding of economic information under FAPSI (within the bounds of this Agency) entrusting to it the design and implementation of programs for safeguarding the security of economic information of the Russian credit and financial and other significant economic structures in the country.
9. The present decree takes effect from the day of its publication.
President of the Russian Federation B. YeltsinMoscow. The Kremlin. April 3, 1995 No. 334