Slide 55 of 68
Battlespace Dominance Missions: The leap from RSTA to Battlespace Dominance is from a collection oriented function to active participation in combat. This has two major impacts on the UAV system. First, in most cases the UAV payload data stream is two-way, allowing the UAV to communicate with and/or designate for engaged forces. Accordingly, the UAV mission commander must be well versed in the mission at hand, including; ROE, tactics, doctrine, code words, and capabilities and limitations of the engaged forces. In most cases, he will be required to participate in the mission planning. Furthermore, these missions appear in this functional area because they requires some or all of the following UAV attributes:
- Real time control of the position of the UAV by the UAV mission commander.
- Real time control of the payload field of view by the UAV mission commander.
- Real time control of pointers and designators by the UAV mission commander.
- Real time relay of tactical commands and information from the UAV mission commander.
- Near real time transmission of target coordinates with authorization to prosecute same.