PL 101-510 - INTELLIGENCE PRIORITIES AND REORGANIZATION
5 November 1990
(a) Revision of Priorities and Consolidation of Functions. -
The Secretary of Defense, together with the Director of Central
Intelligence, shall conduct a joint review of all intelligence and
intelligence-related activities in the Tactical Intelligence and
Related Activities (TIARA) programs and the National Foreign
Intelligence Program (NFIP). The Secretary, together with the
Director, shall take the following actions with respect to those
(1) In cases in which redundancy or fragmentation exist,
consolidate functions, programs, organizations, and operations to
improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the conduct of those
intelligence activities or programs.
(2) Revise intelligence collection and analysis priorities
and resource allocations to reflect changes in the international
(3) Strengthen joint intelligence functions, operations, and
(4) Improve the quality and independence of intelligence
support to the weapons acquisition process.
(5) Improve the responsiveness and utility of national
intelligence systems and organizations to the needs of the
(b) Personnel Reductions. - (1) The number of personnel
assigned or detailed to the National Foreign Intelligence Program
and related Tactical Intelligence and Related Activities programs
shall be reduced by not less than 5 percent of the number of such
personnel described in paragraph (2) during each of fiscal years
1992 through 1996.
(2) The number of personnel referred to in paragraph (1) is the
number of personnel assigned or detailed to such programs on
September 30, 1990.