Newer News: June 2010
May 2010 Intelligence News
- House Passes Legislation to Increase Oversight of Intelligence Community, news release, May 27. "Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-CA), Chair of the Subcommittee on Intelligence Community Management (ICM), overcame a veto threat to pass legislation to allow the GAO to investigate intelligence agencies at the direction of Congress."
- DOD to Implement New Suspicious Activity Reporting System, DoD news release, May 21. "The Department of Defense announced today that it will use the FBI-owned and maintained eGuardian suspicious activity reporting system as a long-term solution to ensure access to appropriate law enforcement related threat information in support of the department's missions."
- DOD Announces First U.S. Cyber Command and First U.S. CYBERCOM Commander, DoD news release, May 21. "Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates announced today Army Gen. Keith B. Alexander’s appointment as the first U.S. Cyber Command commander, officially establishing the initial operating capability for the new command. The announcement comes immediately following Alexander’s promotion to receive his fourth star during a ceremony at Fort Meade, Md., today."
- Statement of DNI Dennis C. Blair on His Resignation, May 20. "It is with deep regret that I informed the President today that I will step down as Director of National Intelligence effective Friday, May 28th."
- Pentagon to Tape Interrogations by Peter Spiegel and Siobhan Gorman, Wall Street Journal, May 18. "The Pentagon last week ordered the videotaping of all detainee interrogations conducted by military and defense personnel if the questioning is aimed at gathering 'strategic intelligence' and is conducted on major U.S. military bases."
- U.S. releases declassified U.S. nuclear stockpile numbers by Laura Rozen, Politico, May 3. "As the Obama administration seeks to strengthen the international nuclear non-proliferation regime as a month-long conference reviewing the issue gets underway in New York, it has released for the first time newly declassified information on the U.S. nuclear stockpile."
Older News: April 2010
Maintained by Steven Aftergood
Updated June 3, 2010