Newer News: November 2005
October 2005 Intelligence News
- DNI Announces Senior Leadership Positions, news release, October 31.
- Scooter Libby Indicted, news release, October 28. "Senior White House official I. Lewis Libby was indicted today on obstruction of justice, false statement and perjury charges for allegedly lying about how and when in 2003 he learned and subsequently disclosed to reporters then-classified information concerning the employment of Valerie Wilson by the Central Intelligence Agency." (Indictment).
- White House Appoints Members of President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board, news release, October 27. "The President intends to appoint the following individuals to be Members of the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board, for a term of two years:"
- DNI Releases National Intelligence Strategy, news release, October 26. "The Director of National Intelligence today released The National Intelligence Strategy of the United States of America, a publication that establishes the strategic objectives for the Intelligence Community."
- Air Force Determination: Air America Crew Not Considered "Active Duty", Federal Register, October 18.
- US cannot explain suspicious Zawahri letter passage by David Morgan, Reuters, October 14. "This would appear to be conclusive evidence that the DNI was mistaken, and that the letter was written to someone other than Zarqawi," Steven Aftergood of the Federation of American Scientists said on on Friday in his e-mail intelligence newsletter, "Secrecy News."
- DNI and DCIA Announce Establishment of the National Clandestine Service, news release, October 13. "The initiative will strengthen the direction and leadership of human intelligence throughout the Intelligence Community (IC)."
- Creation of the National HUMINT Manager: Fact Sheet, news release, October 13. "The DCIA will become the National HUMINT manager. He will delegate his day-to-day responsibilities as the National HUMINT manager to the Director of the NCS."
- DNI Releases Letter from al-Zawahiri to al-Zarqawi, news release, October 11. "Today the Office of the Director of National Intelligence released a letter between two senior al Qa'ida leaders, Ayman al-Zawahiri and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, that was obtained during counterterrorism operations in Iraq. This lengthy document provides a comprehensive view of al Qa'ida's strategy in Iraq and globally."
- Low Clearance by Eli J. Lake, The New Republic, October 10 (sub. req'd)). "Why an espionage investigation that snared two lobbyists is terrible news for journalists." (full text posted here)
Older News: September 2005
Maintained by Steven Aftergood