ACCESSION NUMBER:364736 FILE ID:POL406 DATE:10/20/94 TITLE:ADD DEFENSE DEPARTMENT REPORT, THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20 (10/20/94) TEXT:*94102006.POL ADD DEFENSE DEPARTMENT REPORT, THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20 (Iraq) (260) U.S. HALTING KUWAIT DEPLOYMENT WITH WARNING TO IRAQ About 13,000 U.S. troops will remain in Kuwait as a warning to Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein that his recent deployment of large numbers of troops to the area near the border of his southern neighbor must not be repeated, a senior Defense Department official said October 20. "He is not to bring forces that were not below the 32nd parallel below that line or the United States will take appropriate action -- which is undefined," the official said. Iraq may keep forces along the frontier no larger than those present before its military threat against Kuwait became visible to U.S. intelligence, he said. After American troops began to deploy, U.S. intelligence became aware of large Iraqi troop pullbacks from the area by about October 14, but it was not certain for several more days that the elite Republican Guards units were departing far enough away to reduce the threat to Kuwait, the official said. "We wanted to be certain that the forces had withdrawn north of the 32nd parallel" before stopping further deployment of U.S. forces, he said. About 26,000 U.S. troops are in Kuwait now, and that number will not go below 13,000 for "the foreseeable future," according to the official. About 36,000 ground troops had been planned for deployment, but those that have not yet been deployed will not go unless the situation changes in the region, he told reporters. NNNN .