MARINE FORCES PACIFIC
COMMANDING OFFICER: COL R. J. INGOLD
REVISED: APRIL, 1996
BY THE 21ST CENTURY, WE WILL BE THE RECOGNIZED
LEADER IN TACTICALLY-FOCUSED SIGNALS
INTELLIGENCE (SIGINT), ELECTRONIC WARFARE
(EW) AND INFORMATION WARFARE (IW), WITH A
REPUTATION AMONG OUR CUSTOMERS FOR QUALITY
PRODUCTS, COMMITMENT TO OUR MARINES
AND SAILORS AS OUR NUMBER ONE RESOURCE, AND
EFFECTIVE USE OF ALL ASSETS, ACHIEVED THROUGH A
DYNAMIC FORWARD-LOOKING STRATEGY!
- We will be prepared to go to war now!
- We will exploit technology in order to defeat the enemy.
- We will develop the attitude that "It is my
- We will ensure that every member of the Command has a
understanding of their function and its importance to the
accomplishment of the Battalion's mission.
- We will strike a balance among people, procedures, and
recognizing that our greatest resource is the Marine and
- Our Focus will be on satisfying our customer.
- We will emphasize the hallmarks of the Marine Corps Leadership
encouraging initiative, innovation, and the downward
shift of authority.
We will employ innovation, ingenuity, and an ability to
adapt to change, across the spectrum of conflict.
TO PROVIDE COMMARFORPAC AND HIS
MARINE EXPEDITIONARY FORCES A UNIQUE
EFFECTIVE SIGINT, EW, AND IW
- Increase dialogue with warfighters to understand
and priorities, and make them aware of the
Battalion's resources and
- Maintain and improve an integrated 1st Radio
COMMARFORPAC's foundation for SIGINT, EW, and IW.
- Enhance 1st Radio Battalion's support to COMMARFORPAC's MEUs
(SOC) and other Expeditionary Forces engaged
across the continuum of
military operations to include support to
Biological and Chemical
- Improve GENSER and SCI communications for Marine Component
Headquarters and JTF Headquarters.
- Develop a rapidly deployable (nucleus) Joint
Coordination Cell (JCRCC for Marine JTF's).
- Integrate SIGINT, EW, IW throughout the MAGTF.
- Develop an Information Warfare capability,
defensive and offensive.
- Integrate the Battalion's C2 capability into the
Global Command and
Control System (GCCS) and appropriate Theater
Control System (TCCS) architectures in garrison,
enroute, and while
- Expand electronic collocation/connectivity
capabilities between 1st
Radio Battalion, its deployed detachments, Marine Expeditionary
- Formalize Company B, 7th Communication
Battalion's T/O and T/E
for complete integration of the Company into the
and capabilities of the Battalion.
- Emphasize warfighter feedback mechanisms.
TO DEVELOP APPROPRIATE DOCTRINE
CONDUCT REALISTIC, DEMANDING AND CONTINUOUS
TRAINING IN ORDER TO ENSURE THE READINESS OF OUR
MARINES AND SAILORS.
- Effetivly manage training resources to include
improved utilization of the
1st Radio Battalion TEEP.
- Ensure our Marines and Sailors are prepared
mentally and physically for
the rigors of combat
- Emphasize individual initiative, rapid
decision-making, high quality small
unit leadership, moral courage and strength of
character, flexibility in
staff action and command and control,
decentralized execution, and a
bias for decisive action in all of the training
and education we conduct.
- Emphasize mentoring as a critical factor in
building a team of military
leaders and professionals.
- Maximize training investments through train the
trainer and feedback
- Institute individual and unit training, in order
to validate and improve
specific architectures for SIGINT, EW, and IW
emphasis on combined and joint operations.
- Make our training innovative , challenging, and
- Implement training that includes appropriate
background reading, tactical
decision games, exercise, and critiques.
- Refine and extend participation in CAX and WTI to
doctrine and organization consistent with the
type of exercising unit.
- Increase computer based training and education
initiatives that improve
upon our Cryptologic Learning Center (CLC)
TO EXPLOIT THE LATEST IN
TECHNOLOGY RAPIDLY INTEGRATING IT INTO THE
BATTALION'S WARFIGHTING SYSTEM
- Serve as a warfighting laboratory for SIGINT, EW,
and IW systems and
equipment via COMMARFORPAC for USMC and other Services,
NSA, OSO and other sources as appropriate in
concert with CMC,
MCCDC, MARCORSYSCOM, and our warfighting customers.
- Ensure that our unique SIGINT, EW, AND IW
requirements for systems and
equipment are reflected via COMMARFORPAC for USMC
and other Services, CINC, Agency
PPBS related activities to include the enhanced
JROC, the Joint warfighting
capability assessments, and the development of
CINC integrated priority
- Employ the anticipatory talents and capabilities
of our Marines and Sailors
to produce innovative and ingenious solutions to
equipment and systems
TO BE CONTINUOUSLY PREPARED FOR
PHASED DEPLOYMENT OF THE BATTALION.
- Develop and exercise ready deployable modules.
- Continuously apply the Plan, Do, Check, Act
(PDCA) process to 1st Radio
Battalion's Field SOP in order to achieve dynamic
deployment readiness for applicable plans and
- Fully plan to integrate and employ Reserve Force
Personnel into all
operations, and exercises.
- Fully integrate Marine Support Battalion
augmentation in all appropriate
plans and operations.
TO OPTIMIZE THE ALLOCATION OF
INCLUDING THE TOTAL FORCE OF MARINES AND
SAILORS, DOLLARS, SYSTEMS AND FACILITIES.
- Optimize and improve the utilization of Battalion
- Identify needs and provide internal fiscal
guidance and external fiscal
fiscal requests in order to properly address and
capture present and future
- Identify and correct T/E and T/O shortages and
excesses so that they are in
concert with operational requirements.
TO FULLY UTILIZE THE TALENTS OF
AND SAILORS BY INVESTING TIME AND RESOURCES SO
THAT THEY CAN REALIZE THEIR FULLEST POTENTIAL.
- Promote the shift of authority downward and
encourage our Marines
and Sailors to make decisions and accept
- Delegate responsibility with commensurate
accountability to the
lowest appropriate level.
- Minimize layered bureaucracy.
- Institutionalize a continuous improvement
- Implement programs to recognize individual and
- Institutionalize universal TQL training within
TO CREATE A QUALITY ENVIRONMENT
MARINES AND SAILORS AND THEIR FAMILIES WHILE
ENSURING ALL ARE PREPARED FOR THE DEMANDS
PLACED ON A FORCE IN READINESS.
- Foster an atmosphere of mutual respect and
- Provide a quality environment for our Marines,
Sailors, and their
families by ensuring individual and family
>Develop innovative and participatory
utilization of Battalion facilities to
enhance the quality of life of our Marines and
- Assist our Family members through an active
efficient Key Volunteer
- Effectively utilize our available agencies to
ensure the maximum
support to our Marines, Sailors, and their
Published July, 1996
Battalion Total Quality Coordinator:
Captain John A. Polanco