Mr. McCAIN proposed an amendment to the bill S. 195, supra, as follows:
Strike section 106 and insert in lieu thereof the following:
SEC. 106. SEMI-ANNUAL REPORTS ON THE PROLIFERATION OF MISSILES CAPABLE OF DELIVERING WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION AND ON THE PROLIFERATION OF BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS, CHEMICAL WEAPONS, AND NUCLEAR WEAPONS.
(a) Reports: Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, and every 180 days thereafter, the President shall submit to Congress a report described in subsection (b).
(b) Contents of Report: Each report under subsection (a) shall--
(1) describe in detail the efforts of all foreign countries to acquire biological weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons, and long-range missiles and destabilizing offensive aircraft and to acquire the material and technology to produce and deliver such weapons;
(2) include an assessment of the present and future capability of those countries to produce and deliver such weapons;
(3) include a determination of whether and to what degree any Communist-bloc country has assisted any foreign country in its efforts to acquire any weapons system, aircraft, material, or technology referred to in paragraph (1);
(A) each person who in the past has assisted any foreign country in those efforts; and
(B) each person who continues to assist any foreign country in those efforts as of the date of the report;
(5) indicate whether any person included on the list referred to in paragraph (3)(A) or (3)(B) was aware that the assistance provided by that country was for the purpose of developing biological weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons, or a long-range missile or offensive aircraft;
(6) include any confirmed or credible intelligence or other information that indicates that a non-Communist country has provided assistance in developing biological weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons, or long-range missiles or offensive aircraft to another country, either directly by selling to such foreign country biological weapons, chemical weapons, nuclear weapons, or missiles or aircraft or indirectly by facilitating the activity of a person included on a list referred to in paragraph (3)(A) or (3)(B), but took no action to halt or discourage such activity.
(c) Protection of Classified and Intelligence Information: Classified portions of any report prepared
under this section may be issued in a separate annex to the report. In addition, the President may, with respect to the matters addressed in any such report, limit the transmission of intelligence information to the Select Committee on Intelligence of the Senate and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence of the House of Representatives if the President determines that such information could disclose intelligence sources and methods.
(d) Excluded Information: If the President, consistent with subsection (c), decides not to list any person or country in that part of the report required under paragraphs (3) and (5) of subsection (b) that would have otherwise been listed, the President shall include that fact in the report and his reasons for not listing the person or country.