CIA - News Release Archive
CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY
CIA Press Releases and Statements
- CIA INSPECTOR GENERAL RELEASES UNCLASSIFIED REPORT
8 October 1998 -- An unclassified version of Volume II of the Central Intelligence Agency's independent statutory Inspector General's report, "Allegations of Connections Between CIA and the Contras in Cocaine Trafficking to the United States," was released publicly today.
- CIA, NRO, and Air Force Celebrate the U-2: A Revolution in Intelligence September 28, 1998 -- On September 17, hundreds flocked to Fort Leslie J. McNair to take part in a symposium, held by the CIA's Center of the Study of Intelligence (CSI), in conjunction with the United States Air Force, the Department of Defense, the National Reconnaissance Office, Lockheed Martin, Eastman Kodak, and Raytheon, to examine the development, operations, and policy impact of the U-2 reconnaissance aircraft.
- Statement by George J. Tenet Director of Central Intelligence July 27, 1998 -- Former CIA employee, Douglas F. Groat, pled guilty today in federal court to charges of attempted extortion.
- Letter Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet sent to members of Congress regarding the Rumsfeld Commission's report 15 July 1998 -- Our 1998 report also noted that a country could purchase an ICBM or space launch vehicle, or a turnkey facility to produce either--events that could lead to deployments in as little as a few months to a few years. Although our report made the analytic judgment that such developments were unlikely, this does not mean that we minimize the threat.
- DCI Statement on Declassification 15 July 1998 -- The demands for declassification review far exceed the capabilities of the personnel who are available under current budgetary limitations to perform it. I am announcing today the priorities that will guide the Agency's historical declassification efforts for the foreseeable future. We will address the remaining five covert actions identified by my predecessors as soon as the others have been completed. The fact is, we do not have sufficient resources at the current time to review the documentation involved in these five remaining covert actions.
- Remarks of the Director of Central Intelligence
George J. Tenet on Presentation of the Director's Medal to John T. "Jack" Downey
and Richard G. Fecteau 25 June 1998
- CIA's DEPUTY DIRECTOR FOR SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
TO BECOME CEO OF PUBLIC SERVICE RESEARCH INSTITUTE Press Release 06/22/98
- CIA RELEASES DOCUMENTS PERTAINING TO BAY OF PIGS -- CIA Press Release -- 04 June 1998 -- The CIA has transferred to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) an initial group of historical records -- consisting of approximately 3,200 pages of declassified CIA documents -- concerning the Bay of Pigs operation.
- PRESS STATEMENT BY THE DIRECTOR OF CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE GEORGE J. TENET ON THE RELEASE OF THE JEREMIAH REPORT -- 02 June 1998 -- I asked Admiral Jeremiah to take a hard look at the Intelligence Community's performance on India. He did exactly that. He identified problems that impeded our performance on India and warned us of weaknesses that could reduce our effectiveness in the future-- if we do not correct them now.
- STATEMENT BY THE DIRECTOR OF CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE GEORGE J. TENET ON THE PASSING OF SENATOR BARRY M. GOLDWATER -- 29 May 1998
- Indian Nuclear Testing CIA Press Release -- 12 May 1998 -- DCI Tenet has asked Admiral David Jeremiah, USN (Ret), former Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to lead an Intelligence Community team to assess the Indian nuclear testing issue and report his findings within the next ten days.
- Allegations of Connections Between CIA
and The Contras in Cocaine Trafficking STATEMENT BY GEORGE J. TENET DIRECTOR OF CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE 29 January 1998
- December 29 - Intelligence Pioneer R. V. Jones Dies
- December 18 - Operation Santa Claus
- November 10 - Statement by George Tenet, Director of Central Intelligence, on the Conviction of Mir Aimal Kasi
- October 31 - Deputy Director of Central Intelligence Confirmed for Fourth Star
- October 24 - Central Intelligence Agency Sponsors Seminar on Assessing the Soviet Threat
- October 15 - Statement by DCI on Discosure of the Aggregate Intelligence Budget for FY97
- September 10 - CIA to Mark 50th Anniversary, Honor "Trailblazers"
- July 10 - Statement By George J. Tenet
- June 17 - Statement by CIA and FBI on arrest of Mir Aimal Kansi
- March 11 - CIA Honors Early Visionary
- February 26 - Acting DCI George Tenet Statement on Gulf War
- December 9 - CIA Shares Technology with the Navajo Nation
- November 18 - Joint CIA-FBI Press Release on Arrest Warrant and Search Warrants Update
- June 28 - DCI John Deutch Statement on IOB
- May 13 - DCI John Deutch Statement on Death of William Colby
- May 3 - DCI Deutch Appoints Richard J. Wilhelm to Executive Director for Intelligence Community Affairs
- March 4 - John H. Moseman Appointed Director of Congressional Affairs
- March 1 - DCI John M. Deutch's Statement on the Brown Commission
- December 18 - CIA Plays Santa for D.C. School
- November 28 - National Imagery and Mapping Agency Proposed to Congress
- October 31 - Statement by the Director on the Ames Damage Assessment
- August 16 - DCI Deutch Appoints Sandra Kruzman to Key CIA Analytical Post
- August 16 - Statement by the Director on the Death of CIA's First Counsel Lawrence R. Houston
- August 8 - Former DDCI Admiral Studeman Feted at Retirement Ceremony
- July 14 - President Clinton Visits the CIA
- July 11 - Press Release on VENONA Documents
- June 27 - Former President Bush Visits CIA, Addresses Employees
- June 9 - DCI John M. Deutch's Statement Concerning the Class
Action Settlement Involving Female Case Officers
- June 2 - Press Release Announcing New Internet Web Services Provided by CIA
- May 17 - DCI John M. Deutch Announces Senior Personnel Appointments
- May 15 - Transcript of Press Conference with DCI John Deutch
- April 3 - Statement from Acting DCI Adm. William O. Studeman on Intelligence Community Support for Breast Cancer Research
Created by John Pike
Maintained by Steven Aftergood
Updated Thursday, October 21, 1999 5:11:48 PM