FAS Roundup: November 28, 2011
New CRS reports, petition to assess nuclear threat, Take Action blog featuring Iran’s nuclear program and more.
From the Blogs
- New CRS Reports: Secrecy News has obtained new reports from the Congressional Research Service; topics of these reports include: U.S. government programs to identify and deport criminal aliens and the U.S. government’s response to the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), a brutal paramilitary group in Uganda.
- Take Action- Iran’s Nuclear Program: For the past decade, the Iranian nuclear program has been a point of stringent contention among the members of the international community, particularly between Western nations and Iran. Visit the Take Action Blog and learn about FAS’s recommendations for a peaceful solution to this conflict.
- Leak Prosecutions Inch Forward: The three ongoing prosecutions under the Espionage Act of individuals who allegedly “leaked” classified information to the press are slowly moving forward. Steven Aftergood writes about the cases of Jeffrey A. Sterling, (former CIA officer who is accused of leaking classified information to author James Risen), Army Private Bradley Manning, (the suspected WikiLeaks source), and Stephen Kim, former State Department contractor accused of leaking classified information to Fox News reporter James Rosen.
- Dr. Charles D. Ferguson, FAS President, participated in a panel on Iran’s nuclear program at the Brookings Institute on November 22, 2011 in Washington, DC.
Ask Congress to Assess the Nuclear Threat
- Concerned about our nuclear strategy? There is a gaping hole in our national security policy that needs to be plugged. Join FAS in signing a petition asking members of Congress to request an objective study on the potential risks posed by nuclear weapons, both from nuclear terrorism and nuclear war. Take action by signing the petition and circulate to members of your network.
FAS in the News
- Nov 24: The Baltimore Sun, “Cardin bill angers whistleblower advocates”
- Nov 23: Yahoo-The Envoy, “Michele Bachmann’s Pakistan nuclear intelligence source revealed”
- Nov 23: Washington Post, “Medvedev threatens to target U.S. missile shield in Europe if no deal is reached”
- Nov 22: The Hill, “GOP debate: Latin America, cyber top list of below-radar threats”
- Nov 22: Associated Press, “Debt-reduction ‘Supercommittee’ Hid in Plain Sight”
Shop Amazon and Support FAS
- Are you an Amazon customer? If so, shop and support FAS at the same time! Use this link to purchase your items from Amazon and FAS will receive up to 15% of the proceeds from your purchase. Note: you must click on the link or the button on the right for FAS to receive the proceeds from your purchase.